Douglas Warner Jr., physics professor

March 05, 2010|By Frederick N. Rasmussen

Douglas Warner Jr., a retired physics professor and longtime Roland Park resident, died Monday of progressive aphasia at the Broadmead retirement community in Cockeysville. He was 84.

Dr. Warner, whose parents owned and operated the O.F.H. Warner Paper Co., was born in Baltimore and raised on Lombardy Place in Roland Park. He was also a grandson of Dr. Howard A. Kelly, one of the four founding physicians of Johns Hopkins Hospital.

He attended Gilman School and graduated in 1943 from the Pomfret School in Pomfret, Conn.

He joined the Navy at the end of World War II and attended the Navy's V-12 program at Brown University; he then transferred to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he earned a bachelor's degree in 1948 in physics.

He went to work at the Johns Hopkins University's Barton Laboratory and earned a doctorate in quantum mechanics from Hopkins in 1962.

In 1972, Dr. Warner left Hopkins and joined the faculty of Essex Community College, where he taught physics until retiring in 1993.

An outdoorsman and a nature preservationist, Dr. Warner was one of the founders of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.

He enjoyed fly fishing on the Gunpowder River and hunting with Labrador retrievers he trained. He also spent summers at his cabin on Ahmic Lake in Ontario.

Dr. Warner, who had lived at Broadmead since 2005, was a member of Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church, 1316 Park Ave., where funeral services will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday.

Surviving are his wife of 59 years, the former Nancy Atkinson; a son, Douglas Warner III of Hebron, Ky.; two daughters, Frances Warner of Baltimore and Margaret Kelly Warner-Rosen of Toronto; and four grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.