2 women held, man sought in knife attack

Victim had been part of fundraising pub crawl

March 02, 2010|By Justin Fenton | justin.fenton@baltsun.com

It started around noon Saturday, a pub crawl through South Baltimore to raise money for a group of friends who for seven years have been playing flag football together. It ended with one of the team members at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, getting blood transfusions to treat three deep stab wounds to his back.

Police say that a fight broke out among the group of people participating in the event, and that two women later attacked a 25-year-old man as he walked up the street. As he fended off their blows, he was stabbed from behind by a man. Police and witnesses who saw the initial fight said most people were wearing the official bar crawl T-shirts.

The victim, 25-year-old Michael Kooser, a member of the football team, said he did not know his attackers and did not want the team or the bars that hosted the crawl to get a bad reputation.

The event "was a really big success," Kooser said. "We had a ton of people there, we made lots of money. Now, afterward, people will take it out on us, but it had nothing to do with the bar crawl."

Two women - Jennifer Sanford, 26, of the 4600 block of Curtis Ave. in Curtis Bay, and Kimberly L. Fleming, 32, of the 800 block of W. Lombard St. - have been arrested and charged with first-degree assault, attempted first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder and related crimes. Fleming was ordered held on $250,000 bond, while Sanford was held on $75,000 bond.

Detective Kevin Hagan, a Baltimore police spokesman, said police are searching for the male suspect.

Kooser and event organizer Chaz Klemkowski said the bar crawl drew about 200 people and officially lasted about five hours, with proceeds going to the Baltimore Hitmen, a local flag football team that plays pick-up games in the city and Anne Arundel County. They've been together since 2004, mostly friends, neighbors and family members from South Baltimore.

"We have never had anything like this happen before," Klemkowski said in an e-mail.

The first fight, at the intersection of Fort Avenue and S. Charles Street, drew police to the area, with officers and the department helicopter responding. Klemkowski said one of his team members was taken into custody in relation to that incident and released without charges.

It was as Kooser left the area that he said he was jumped by two women, who said Kooser had not backed up the team member in the fight. Kooser was found by officers and medics in the 1500 block of Covington St. Kooser said his doctor told him that he lost 50 percent of his blood and he required transfusions. On Monday, blood still stained the sidewalk in front of a convenience store where Kooser was found.

>> Most recent updates

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.