Hens cash in on bounce off check

Game-winning goal caroms off stick of UMBC player

February 21, 2010|By Edward Lee | edward.lee@baltsun.com

Any loss is disappointing, but the way the UMBC men's lacrosse team fell Saturday was deflating.

A forced turnover caromed off a Retrievers player's stick and rolled into the net to lift No. 20 Delaware to an 11-10 win over No. 17 UMBC with 1:07 left in the third overtime at UMBC Stadium.

The fluke play began with Blue Hens senior attackman Curtis Dickson matching up against senior midfielder Maxx Davis on the left wing. As Dickson ran toward the slot, Davis checked the ball out of Dickson's stick.

But the ball bounced off the stick of a Retrievers defender and rolled toward the cage. Simultaneously, freshman goalie Adam Cohen ranged to his left in an attempt to intercept the ball. Instead, the ball skipped into the empty net, setting off a wild celebration as Delaware players mobbed Dickson near the net.

"The bounce goes both ways," said UMBC coach Don Zimmerman, whose team fell to 0-1 and absorbed its first overtime loss in nine decisions. "We've won some like that, and you lose some like that. It's just part of sports."

Said UMBC senior Kyle Wimer: "It's tough losing a game, especially on a deflection trickle like that. But we can take a lot away from this game. We learned a lot. It's early in the season, it's our first game. So we can take from that and build upon it, and that's what we're going to do."

The setback marred an impressive performance by Wimer, who achieved a personal best with six points on three goals and three assists despite switching his position from midfielder to attackman. Without former teammates Peet Poillon and Alex Hopmann - both of whom powered the Retrievers to sixth in scoring in Division I last season before graduating - Wimer, who had one goal and two assists in a pivotal fourth quarter, is being asked to lead a young offense.

The unit appeared to struggle through the first three quarters. After Wimer fed senior attackman Matt Latham (Liberty) for a goal with 13:25 left in the second period, the Retrievers went scoreless for 12:36 until junior midfielder Jamie Kimbles scored off an assist from junior midfielder Ryan Shields with 49 seconds left in the half.

After getting shut out in the third quarter and trailing by three goals, the offense erupted for six goals in the final period.

"We were trying to find our rhythm, and once we started clicking, we started to obviously put more goals in," Wimer said. "It's just something we have to work on so that we're more steady throughout the whole game."

UMBC scored five of the fourth quarter's first six goals, and junior midfielder Bobby Stockton's blast from the right point gave the Retrievers a 9-8 advantage with 3:11 left - their first lead of the game.

Senior midfielder Martin Cahill and Dickson scored in a span of 30 seconds to put Delaware (2-0) ahead with 1:52 left, but Stockton sent the contest into overtime with his third goal of the game with 36 seconds left.

Dickson paced the Blue Hens with seven goals and one assist, and Cahill scored three times. Dickson has scored 11 goals and recorded four assists in two games.

"He's probably one of our best athletes," Delaware coach Bob Shillinglaw said. "He's not just a guy who grips and rips it. He can create as well. ... He certainly had a first-team All-American performance today."

Delaware 2 4 1 3 0 0 1 - 11UMBC 1 3 0 6 0 0 0 - 10Goals: D-Dickson 7, Cahill 3, Steverson; UMBC-Stockton 3, Wimer 3, Latham 2, Grimm, Kimbles. Assists: D-Bloor, Dickson, Kaleikau, Kaminski, Lee, Lombard, Smith, Zink; UMBC-Wimer 3, Grimm, Shields, Stosckton. Saves: D-Fossner 9; UMBC-Kohri 5, Cohen 0.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.