Man charged with murder in stabbing linked to Facebook

Angry boyfriend assaulted woman's nephew, police say

February 20, 2010|By Justin Fenton |

City police have arrested a 22-year-old man accused of fatally stabbing a man during an altercation sparked over Facebook, according to court records.

Police say Harold Montaize Alford became enraged over his girlfriend communicating with a man on the social networking site and began assaulting her. The woman's nephew, 27-year-old Adam Couther, intervened and was stabbed in the neck with a bottle opener with a knife attachment, according to records.

When police responded to the scene in the 700 block of N. Lakewood Ave., they found Alford holding a blue towel on Couther's neck in an attempt to stop the bleeding. Alford and his girlfriend, Teresa Begett, were both covered in blood, and Alford was "shaking uncontrollably," Detective Michael Moran wrote in charging documents.

Alford has been charged with first-degree murder and was ordered held without bond.

Begett had returned from work and was sleeping on her sofa when Alford called her on her cell phone about 2 a.m. and started arguing with her about a male friend on her Facebook page, Moran wrote. Begett hung up on Alford, who showed up at her home and entered using a key. He began assaulting her, at one point wrapping his hands around her face and "smothering" her, records show. The argument subsided, but he later attacked her again, banging her head into the wall, police said.

Begett's nephew, Couther, came downstairs and pushed Alford off her and helped his aunt to her feet. That's when Couther and Alford began fighting, and Begett held Couther back, police said. She told police that she felt Alford reach toward Couther, and then "felt a warm liquid running down the front of her," according to charging documents.

"Ms. Begett noticed it was blood and looked up at her nephew, Mr. Couther, and noticed a large laceration to his neck which was bleeding profusely," Moran wrote. "Ms. Begett then looked at Mr. Alford, who dropped a red bottle opener with a knife attachment to the ground and [Begett] stated 'What did you do.' "

"My life is gone," Alford said, according to charging documents. "But he was attacking me, he was attacking me."

Alford denied assaulting Begett and said he "saw a red and silver object going through the air" before Couther began bleeding. He said he did not know how Couther was cut and said neither he nor Begett was responsible.

The arrest was one of at least four recent murder arrests by city police detectives.

>> Most recent updates

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.