Tar Heels have arrived in Maryland

North Carolina landed at BWI on Friday and held practice at Comcast Center

February 06, 2010|By Jeff Barker | jeff.barker@baltsun.com

North Carolina's charter flight landed at BWI Marshall Airport on Friday afternoon as the winter storm was intensifying. The Tar Heels headed immediately to Maryland's campus for a practice session that normally would have taken place in Chapel Hill, N.C.

The storm meant that everything was moved up a day. Instead of practicing on their own campus Friday and departing today, the Tar Heels left Friday and got permission to practice on Maryland's court.

The game between Maryland (15-6, 5-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) and North Carolina (13-9, 2-5) is a Super Bowl warm-up scheduled for Sunday at 2 p.m.

The change of plans meant the Tar Heels achieved an unusual "double" - two road trips in two days.

The team had traveled to Virginia Tech, where it lost, 74-70, on Thursday night. It got back to its own campus about 2 a.m. After players attended classes, the team left for Maryland about 1:30 in the afternoon.

The Terrapins flew back to their campus Friday after spending the night near Florida State, which they defeated, 71-67, on Thursday.

A North Carolina official said it was premature to consider the possibility of snow-related delays after Sunday's game. The Tar Heels host Duke on Wednesday night in Chapel Hill.

Discuss this story and others in our talk forums Most recent sports talk forum topics:

More sports talk forums: Orioles | Ravens | Pro Sports | College | Lacrosse | High School | Outdoors
Note: In-story commenting has been temporarily disabled due to technical issues. We are working to correct the issue and will bring back this feature in the future. In the meantime, please use our talk forums to discuss stories.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.