Around The Region

AROUND THE REGION

December 28, 2009

Donors to pay for girl's funeral, burial

Relatives of an 11-year-old girl who died after police say she was abducted by a registered sex offender will not have to pay for her funeral or burial. John Holloway of Holloway Funeral Home in Salisbury told WBOC-TV that local donors have paid for the funeral of Sarah Haley Foxwell. Holloway says the donors want to remain anonymous. No date has been set for the memorial service. Sarah was abducted from her home Tuesday night. Her body was found on Christmas Day after a search that included more than 3,000 volunteers. Thomas Leggs Jr., 30, of Salisbury has been charged with kidnapping and burglary in her disappearance. Leggs is a registered sex offender in Maryland and Delaware and is being held without bond.

- Associated Press

Carbon monoxide victim in Fullerton dies

Baltimore County fire officials say one of four people who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in a Fullerton apartment complex more than a week ago has died. Two women, a man and an 11-month-old girl were hospitalized on Dec. 18 after the carbon monoxide leak on Twincrest Court. Fire officials say one of the women died Saturday. Investigators haven't determined the case of the leak. Last week, the Baltimore County Council passed a law that requires all rental units heated by fuel burning equipment to have carbon monoxide detectors. It takes effect in 45 days.

- Associated Press

Patapsco called unsafe in wake of sewage spill

Officials are warning people to avoid the Patapsco River after a huge sewage spill in the Halethorpe area. About 22 million gallons of diluted sewage streamed into the river over 10 hours beginning Saturday evening, according to the Baltimore County public works department. Heavy rains and melting snow flooded a Halethorpe sewage pumping station under renovation and triggered the overflow, which was staunched this morning, according to the public works department. Residents should avoid the river until further notice.

- Julie Scharper

Unattended candle blamed for $1.5 million P.G. fire

Fire officials say an unattended candle sparked a fire that burned down a 3-story apartment building in Oxon Hill Saturday evening and displaced 24 families. Prince George's County fire officials say no one was injured in the blaze. Damage has been estimated at $1.5 million.

- Associated Press

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.