Loyola upsets Indiana on road, 72-67

Win is Greyhounds' 1st ever over Big 10 opponent

December 23, 2009|By From Sun news services

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Indiana certainly isn't the college basketball powerhouse that it once was, but Loyola's surprising victory over the Hoosiers Tuesday night is still one the Greyhounds will savor.

Loyola saw a 24-point first half lead evaporate, but Brett Harvey converted a 4-point play in the final minutes to put the Greyhounds back on top and they held to win at Indiana's Assembly Hall.

"We all know there's great history here," said Harvey, who scored a game-high 25 points. "We knew it was going to be a loud place, and once they made their run, we couldn't even hear ourselves calling a play. We stuck together as a team and this is a great team win."

It was Loyola's first victory over a Big Ten opponent in eight tries. Jamal Barney added 13 points the Greyhounds (6-5), who raced out to a 15-0 lead, holding Indiana scoreless for six minutes.

Jeremiah Rivers had 15 points and Verdell Jones III scored 14 for Indiana (5-6), which had never lost to a MAAC team.

"I wouldn't say it's embarrassing," said Rivers. "It was more disappointment."

The Hoosiers took their first lead at 65-62 with less than four minutes left. Harvey made 1-of-2 from the line 20 seconds later to trim Indiana's advantage to 65-63.

He then stole the ball from Rivers and scored on a fast-break layup with just over three minutes to play, squaring the score at 65.

Jones scored in the paint with 2:55 left, putting Indiana back up two. Harvey then hit a three-pointer, was fouled and converted the free throw to put Loyola ahead 69-67 with 1:50 left.

"I knew I had to get that shot up, even with a hand in my face," said Harvey. "I wasn't thinking about nothing, just making the shot."

Rivers missed a pair of free throws that would have tied it, and Harvey made a pair to give the Greyhounds a 71-67 advantage with 17 seconds left.

Devan Dumes missed a layup for Indiana on the Hoosiers' next possession, and the ball went out-of-bounds off Loyola with eight seconds remaining.

Barney stole the ball from Jordan Hulls and was fouled, making 1 of 2 free throws for the final margin.

Loyola took its biggest advantage, 46-22, on Robert Olson's 3-pointer with 1:30 left in the half. The Hoosiers scored the final six points before halftime, including Jordan Hulls' 3-pointer at the buzzer, to get within 18.

Indiana charged back with a 15-0 run to pull to 58-53 with less than 10 minutes left. Maurice Creek hit consecutive 3-pointers, and Jones followed with another to spark the rally.

The Hoosiers tied the score at 62 minutes later on Jones' two free throws, and Rivers' three-point play gave Indiana the lead.

LOYOLA-Winbush 3-5 0-0 8, Walker 0-2 2-4 2, Brooks 4-4 0-0 8, Harvey 7-11 8-9 25, Olson 2-2 0-0 6, Lewis 2-3 2-4 6, Wright 1-3 1-2 3, Barney 5-14 2-5 13, Rudolph 0-1 1-2 1. Totals 24-45 16-26 72.INDIANA-Watford 3-11 4-4 10, Elston 1-2 0-0 2, Creek 3-6 1-1 9, Rivers 6-10 3-9 15, Jones III 2-7 9-12 14, Hulls 2-3 0-0 6, Moore 0-0 0-0 0, Capobianco 0-0 0-0 0, Pritchard 3-5 1-2 7, Dumes 0-4 4-4 4, Jobe 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 20-48 22-32 67.Half-Loyola 46-28. 3-point goals-Loyola 8-16 (Harvey 3-5, Olson 2-2, Winbush 2-2, Barney 1-5, Walker 0-2), Indiana 5-11 (Creek 2-3, Hulls 2-3, Jones III 1-2, Watford 0-1, Dumes 0-2). Fouled out-Creek. Rebounds-Loyola 27 (Walker 7), Indiana 33 (Pritchard 8). Assists-Loyola 15 (Harvey 5), Indiana 9 (Rivers 4). Total fouls-Loyola 24, Indiana 20. A-11,321.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.