Man Held In Fatal Beating Used Hammer, Police Say

Argument With Girlfriend Allegedly Sparked Attack

December 05, 2009|By Justin Fenton | Justin Fenton ,

The man arrested Thursday in the fatal beating of a 17-year-old girl and the assault of her disabled mother struck them repeatedly with a hammer during a drunken rage ignited by an argument with his girlfriend, court records say.

William Jones, 32, was ordered held without bond Friday morning by a District Court judge. Jones, who has no prior criminal convictions, is charged with one count of first-degree murder and one count of attempted first-degree murder.

Baltimore police arrested Jones on Thursday morning after he had barricaded himself in a nearby home.

Detective Alan Dorsey wrote in charging documents that Jones was driven to his girlfriend's apartment in the 5500 block of Midwood Ave. by his guardian. Jones and his girlfriend got into a "heated dispute which led to him assaulting her," and she left the apartment, the documents allege.

Jones, described as weighing 400 pounds, then began drinking heavily and became intoxicated, Dorsey wrote. He went downstairs to the apartment below and got into an argument with 17-year-old Qurra Iqbal, whom police identified as his cousin.

Police said he beat her several times in the head with a hammer, then turned to her mother, Deborah Beard, 59, a double-amputee who uses a wheelchair and was yelling at Jones to stop, the charging documents say.

Court records describe a grisly scene at the apartment after police arrived. Iqbal was lying in a pool of blood in a front living room. Large amounts of blood were also found throughout the first and second floor, and police found a bloody hammer on a kitchen floor.

Beard was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where she was listed in critical condition with severe head trauma.

At a bail review hearing Friday morning at the Central Booking and Intake Center, Jones was described as unemployed and living with his mother. He received psychiatric treatment in 1986, court officials said, and attempted suicide in July of this year.

Electronic court records show that Jones was charged with assault in April 2008, a case that was later dropped in District Court.

Prosecutors said the charge was dropped on the condition that Jones attend anger management counseling, which court officials said he attended for eight months.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.