Carbon monoxide detected at troubled townhouse complex

November 11, 2009

Baltimore county firefighters detected dangerous carbon monoxide levels late Monday in a unit at Cove Village Townhomes, a community that has been beset by carbon monoxide leaks. It was the 31st call this year from Cove Village about carbon monoxide. Elise Armacost, a Fire Department spokeswoman, said firefighters detected levels of 40 parts per million in the home. The department recommends evacuation at levels of 100 ppm, and considers it a "medical alert" at 35 ppm. The latest alert came when a mother of two called authorities to say that her carbon monoxide detector had gone off while she was cooking and that she felt ill. The 299-unit complex owned by Sawyer Realty Holdings has a history of carbon monoxide problems. In 2005, three members of the Wiley family died of carbon monoxide poisoning in the complex. Howard Libit, a Sawyer representative, said the incident was under review. BGE spokeswoman Linda Foy said inspectors determined that an oversized pot on the stove had caused a buildup of carbon monoxide.

- Nick Madigan

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.