Crime Briefs

November 11, 2009

Boy, 15, fatally stabbed; 'person of interest' held

A 15-year-old boy was found fatally stabbed early Tuesday inside a house in the 2400 block of Llewelyn Ave. in East Baltimore, according to police. The boy's name was withheld pending notification of family members, police said. The boy was stabbed several times in his upper body and was found about 5 a.m. in a closet. Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said a person of interest had been detained after several search warrants were executed. The stabbing is the city's 189th homicide of the year.

- Brent Jones

Mervo student stabbed in attack in school cafeteria

A Mergenthaler Vocational-Technical High School student was attacked by six others and stabbed in the back in the school cafeteria about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to city school officials. The suspects were detained by school staff and are being charged as adults with aggravated assault; only one is believed to be a student at the school, according to schools spokeswoman Edie House. The injured student was treated by school nurses and taken to an area hospital with minor injuries. School officials are unsure how the suspects got into the building, located in the 3500 block of Hillen Road. City and schools police are investigating the incident. About 90 minutes later, another stabbing occurred near the grounds of Maritime Industries Academy at 5001 Sinclair Lane, city school officials said. A Maritime student was cut on the lower left arm by another student as school was being dismissed, officials said. The suspect fled on foot. The victim was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital with minor injuries, House said. Police are investigating the incident.

- Brent Jones

Halethorpe man pleads guilty in two home invasions

A Halethorpe man pleaded guilty Tuesday in two home invasion-style robberies, including one that police said caused the homeowner to have a heart attack soon after. Kirk William Smith, 33, pleaded guilty to armed robbery and conspiracy to commit armed robbery. Anne Arundel County prosecutors Anne Colt Leitess and Brian Marsh said they plan to ask a judge for consecutive prison terms that could total 26 years. Smith is scheduled to be sentenced in January. The first robbery, in the 300 block of Panorama Way in Brooklyn Park, took place Oct. 30, 2008. The victim also was sexually assaulted after a man put a gun to her head and forced her into her home, according to police. Smith, an acquaintance of a family member of hers, was suspected of being an accomplice. Detectives found her jewelry in his home. Leitess said the victim had a heart attack stemming from the crime. The second robbery took place nearby five months later. The homeowner thought he was opening the door for two salesmen March 23, but two armed men forced their way in, according to police. They took cash and a watch before tying the victim's feet and leaving. A second man, Eric Noble, 42, of Baltimore has yet to be tried in the robberies. He was shot and wounded during what police suspect was another home invasion, charging documents allege.

- Andrea F. Siegel

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.