Man Gets 2 Life Terms In Rape, Kidnapping

Two Teens Robbed In Attack At Timonium Light Rail Stop

August 29, 2009|By Nick Madigan | Nick Madigan,nick.madigan@baltsun.com

A 23-year-old bulldozer driver was ordered Friday to spend the rest of his life in prison for the armed kidnapping and robbery of two teenagers at a light rail station in Timonium last October and the subsequent rape of one of the victims.

Kiheem Malik Taylor subjected the couple, both 17, to "torture" and "an absolute living hell" during a two-hour ordeal in which they were "in fear of death," Baltimore County Circuit Judge Robert N. Dugan said. He sentenced the defendant to prison for the maximum term allowed under law - two consecutive life sentences plus 100 years.

"A civilized society cannot tolerate such despicable, criminal behavior," said the judge, who noted that the victims suffered humiliation and embarrassment and, in the girl's case, a "loss of innocence."

Speaking over the sobs of Taylor's mother, Dugan said he hoped to ensure "that the defendant spends the rest of his life behind bars."

Addressing the court, but without looking at either his relatives or those of the two victims, Taylor maintained that police had arrested the wrong man.

"I'm innocent," he said. "I had nothing to do with this. Putting me away is not going to change the fact that the man who did this is still out there."

Taylor was initially charged with 32 counts, including eight sex offenses, among them first-degree rape and committing an "unnatural or perverted" act. He also was charged with armed robbery, kidnapping and carjacking. At a bench trial in May, he was found guilty of eight of the charges, two of which were combined at the time of sentencing for a final total of six.

An accomplice, Brian T. Scott, will be sentenced in October.

Police said after the Oct. 10 incident that the victims had been sitting in a car at the Deereco Road park-and-ride lot when two men approached the vehicle, brandished pistols and demanded that they open a door. The boy was forced into the trunk and the girl was made to undress in the back seat.

The two men drove around for two hours, during which the young woman was raped, Baltimore County State's Attorney Scott Shellenberger, who prosecuted the case, said in court.

He told the judge that Taylor, not content with simply stealing the victims' car and money, made "sport" of the incident by forcing the girl to "perform all these acts on him" and pose for pictures.

The victims were ultimately released in Baltimore's Cherry Hill neighborhood, where they flagged down a passing police car.

After his arrest, prosecutors said Taylor sealed his fate by conversing with a friend by phone from jail about his involvement in the crime. The call was recorded and played in court. During the conversation, Taylor lamented that his accomplice had not worn a mask, as he had, and said he could not be convicted of rape because he believed he had not left a DNA sample.

The two victims, both college-bound, were not present at the sentencing because, Shellenberger said, "they couldn't bring themselves to come into court and face the defendant one more time."

Taylor, who was arrested at his mother's house on Woodstock Avenue in Baltimore, graduated from Southern High School - now known as Digital Harbor High School - and later became certified to operate heavy equipment. He has three siblings.

His lawyer, Marshall Henslee, told the judge that his client had been "using drugs since about 12" and that at the time of his arrest he had a $60-a-day habit.

Taylor's mother, Maleasa Carpenter, was so distraught during the sentencing that the judge warned that he might have to order her out.

Later, when she addressed the court, she said through tears, "I apologize to the family that it happened, but I just don't believe he did this." She called her son "a good kid."

Carpenter urged the judge not to "take my child away for the rest of his life - I don't think I can handle that."

The defendant's father, Walter Taylor, also asked for leniency for his son, and apologized to the families of the two teenagers.

"I know it's a traumatic experience for them," he said, "that they have to deal with for the rest of their lives."

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.