Crime Briefs

August 11, 2009

Police seek identity of remains found in Carroll

Maryland State Police have released a sketch of what a female homicide victim, whose remains were found in March in Carroll County, might have looked like, in an attempt to identify her. Police believe she was white, in her late teens or early 20s, with a petite build. A Baltimore County forensic artist examined the victim's skull to develop a composite drawing. Police said the woman could have been killed decades ago. The remains were found March 24 in the 900 block of Baltimore Blvd. in Westminster, in an overgrown area where construction debris had been dumped behind a manufacturing company. Police ask that anyone who might recognize the victim or who recalls what the area of Route 140 just east of Westminster looked like 25 years ago call 410-386-3029.

- Olivia Bobrowsky

Two arrested after stabbing outside a Dundalk home

An Owings Mills man was stabbed Sunday night in a fight outside a Dundalk home, Baltimore County police said. Richard Cheveral, 22, was kicked out of a house where he had been drinking in the 7800 block of Kavanagh Road, leading to a fight among several people about 10:20 p.m., said Cpl. Mike Hill, a county police spokesman. Cheveral, who was stabbed several times, was treated at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center for wounds that were not life-threatening, Hill said. County police later arrested Kenneth Johnson, 18, and charged him with attempted first-degree murder and first-degree assault, Hill said. They also arrested his sister, Jessica Johnson, 25, who lives at the Kavanagh Road home, accusing her of unlawfully taking a motor vehicle to search for her brother, Hill said. The two were arrested at a Royal Farms store at Ponca and Boston streets.


Liz F. Kay

Man pleads guilty to attempted murder

A 51-year-old Baltimore man pleaded guilty Friday to attempted second-degree murder and using a handgun in a crime of violence, the Maryland State's Attorney's Office announced. Vertino Yeldon of the 2900 block of E. Monument St. was sentenced to 25 years in prison for the attempted murder charge, with all but five years suspended. Judge Martin P. Welch sentenced Yeldon to five years, to run concurrently, on the gun charge. According to court records, on July 30, 2008, Yeldon initially argued with a 23-year-old man with whom he frequently had problems. The fight turned physical, with the two men beating each other with sticks before Yeldon shot the younger man in the stomach.

- Tricia Bishop

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.