3 Subpoenas Are Withdrawn In Dixon Case

July 10, 2009|By Jacques Kelly | Jacques Kelly,jacques.kelly@baltsun.com

Three subpoenas for witnesses in the criminal case against Baltimore Mayor Sheila Dixon were withdrawn Thursday after her attorneys objected to the legal move by the state prosecutor.

The prosecutor, Robert A. Rohrbaugh, attempted to call two current municipal employees and one former employee to testify before a grand jury.

"The state prosecutor had no choice but to drop the subpoenas once their presence was known and we moved to have them quashed," Dixon's attorney, Arnold Weiner, said Thursday.

Weiner had filed a motion to quash the subpoenas that had been served on Carolyn Blakeney, an assistant deputy mayor; Zoe Michal, Dixon's scheduling director; and Anne Lanskey, a former city employee. Weiner also said that he asked the court to turn over copies of any additional subpoenas related to the case.

In his motion to quash the subpoenas, Weiner argued that Rohrbaugh was improperly using the grand jury to gather evidence for Dixon's coming trial. The subpoenas, Weiner said, showed a "fundamental weakness" in Rohrbaugh's case against the mayor, which he added had been "dealt a significant blow" when a judge threw out five of the original 12 charges against Dixon in May.

Dixon is slated to go on trial in September on the remaining charges, including theft, which stem from the use of gift cards that prosecutors said she solicited from developers to give to the poor but used herself.

Rohrbaugh would not comment.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.