Police: Parente Got Knife After Killing Family

April 25, 2009|By a Baltimore Sun reporter

William M. Parente bought the knife he used to commit suicide late Sunday afternoon, apparently after he had killed his wife and two daughters, police said Friday.

A receipt found in the Towson hotel room where the family members' bodies were discovered showed that a set of knives was purchased at 5:24 p.m. Sunday at the Crate & Barrel store in the Towson Town Center mall, Baltimore County police said. Parente, a New York lawyer, beat and asphyxiated his family members Sunday, likely starting with his 58-year-old wife, Betty, police said. Catherine, an 11-year-old daughter, was probably killed soon afterward, and his 19-year-old daughter Stephanie, a Loyola College student, was killed after she came to the hotel room Sunday afternoon.

Viewings on Monday and a funeral Mass on Tuesday for the Parente family will not include the father, Newsday reported. According to the paper, William Parente will be cremated. His family will hold a separate and private service for him, said the Park Funeral Chapel in Garden City, N.Y.

Police have not determined a motive for the killings, but the FBI in New York is investigating allegations that William Parente had mismanaged millions of dollars of other people's investments.

On Friday, Baltimore County police released a 911 call made just before 3 p.m. Monday by an employee of the Baltimore Sheraton North, where William, Betty and Catherine Parente had been staying since the previous Wednesday.

"We have a dead body in one of our rooms here," the employee tells the operator. The employee later gives the room number as 1029 and says the body was of a man.

The operator asks, "Any idea how this might have happened?" and the employee answers: "I don't know. I'm not going further into the room. ... "

Police also released a report written after an officer answered the call. A hotel manager told the officer that hotel staff had made repeated calls to the room after the family did not check out as expected, but had gotten no answers.

After forcing open the locked door of the Parentes' room, a hotel manager went inside and found William Parente's body on the floor. Police have said that the bodies of the mother and her daughters were found lined up on a bed in the room.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.