Rapist Accused In Death Of Woman

Police Also Check Man's Tie To Body Found In Frederick

April 25, 2009|By Nick Madigan and Justin Fenton | Nick Madigan and Justin Fenton,nick.madigan@baltsun.com and justin.fenton@baltsun.com

A convicted rapist was accused Friday of strangling a 19-year-old college student whose body was found last August under a bridge in a Baltimore park, one of a string of attacks police say he carried out that month against young women.

Ronnie L. Winkler, 34, of the 3000 block of Harford Road was charged in the Aug. 15 killing of Kiuna Jackson, a graduate of Northern High School who was attending the Community College of Baltimore County in Essex.

In addition, authorities in Frederick and Baltimore are looking into whether Winkler is connected to the death of another 19-year-old, a Baltimore woman found strangled in an SUV last year in Frederick. Maj. Terrence McLarney, commander of the Baltimore Police Department's homicide unit, said the two agencies are cooperating in the investigation into the death of Shneara Kerrie Boone, who worked in a McDonald's restaurant in Rosedale and who was reported missing Aug. 31.

Boone was found dead five days later in her family's SUV, parked on Frederick's East South Street. Police said Boone's body was discovered after officers responded to a report of a foul odor coming from a green SUV that had been in the same spot for several days.

In charging documents for the Jackson case, Detective Bryan Kershaw wrote that Winkler was asked by an unidentified person to meet with the woman and give her something. Jackson, who lived on the 1300 block of Windemere Ave., had not had prior contact with Winkler, documents say. Cell phone records confirmed that Jackson and Winkler communicated just prior to her disappearance, and one of the witnesses said they saw Winkler driving Jackson's vehicle the next day.

The vehicle was later found near Winkler's home, Kershaw wrote. A jogger discovered Jackson's body a few blocks away, lying face-down on rocks under the Harford Road bridge, on the bank of a stream between a paved trail and Herring Run. An autopsy showed she had been strangled.

At the time of her death, a police spokesman said she was a "good girl who suffered a tragic death."

Contacted by phone on Friday, Marie Simmons, Jackson's aunt, had nothing but good words for detectives who have been trying for months to find her niece's killer, and said she spoke to one of them on Wednesday about the progress in the case. She used an expletive to describe Winkler.

"I know about the other young ladies he's accused of sexually assaulting," said Simmons. She called her niece, who worked at Sam's Club while attending college, "a beautiful young lady who had her whole life ahead of her."

Winkler was already in jail on Friday, facing charges in two other assaults. One occurred on the night of Aug. 5 last year, when, police said, he raped a woman at gunpoint in a yard on the 2400 block of Erdman Ave. after following her as she walked home after work. Winkler is awaiting a May trial in that case.

The other assault took place on Aug. 30, when he is accused of attacking a 16-year-old acquaintance who knew him as "Rome" and who had asked to use the bathroom in his home on Harford Road.

As she walked into the house, "Rome then approached her from the rear and pulled a black stocking around her neck," according to court documents.

He forced her into a bedroom and the girl resisted by scratching his face, the investigating detective wrote, adding that Winkler "began to choke her aggressively with his hands and pushed her down into the bed." As Winkler was raping her, he said, "Don't say anything and I will give you some money," according to the charging document.

Winkler had been released from prison in late 2007 after serving part of a 19-year sentence for raping a 13-year-old girl at gunpoint in March 1994. In that case, according to court documents, Winkler forced open the back door to a Druid Park Drive home and chased the girl, who had been doing her homework at the dining room table.

Holding a .32-caliber revolver to her head, Winkler forced her upstairs and made her undress, according to a police officer's written account. After the assault, he left through the back door, the officer wrote. Winkler was arrested shortly afterward on a city bus. He put up a struggle, police said, during which the handgun dropped out of his clothes.

Baltimore Sun reporter Gus. G. Sentementes contributed to this article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.