The Streak Lives

No. 10 Johns Hopkins 15 No. 11 Navy 7

Blue Jays Continue Dominance Over Midshipmen

April 19, 2009|By Mike Preston | Mike Preston,

The streak is now at 36 wins and counting.

No. 10 Johns Hopkins outscored No. 11 Navy by five goals in the second quarter to turn a close game into a rout as the Blue Jays continued their dominance over the Midshipmen in college lacrosse with a 15-7 victory Saturday before an announced 6,925 at Homewood Field.

It was one of the largest margins of victory in the series by Hopkins (9-4), and it came against a Navy team (6-4) that had won three straight, and seven of its past eight games. Despite a strong effort by Midshipmen goalie Tommy Phelan with 15 saves, the Blue Jays dominated Navy with sheer athleticism and hustle for 60 minutes.

The Blue Jays had an edge in ground balls, 34-25, and outshot Navy 45-31. Johns Hopkins was also successful on 19 of 21 clearing attempts, which means the Blue Jays had a lot of opportunities to score.

And they converted. Junior attackman Steven Boyle led Hopkins with three goals and four assists, and junior midfielder Michael Kimmel had two goals and two assists. Three other Blue Jays scored two goals each.

"That's probably the first time this year we've played a full 60 minutes of lacrosse, and it was a good time to do it against a pretty good team," Hopkins coach Dave Pietramala said. "Our offense did a good job of being unselfish, and our defense was solid, which is something I haven't said much this year."

With strong back-to-back wins against Maryland and Navy, are the Blue Jays peaking and making their usual strong showing in April heading into the postseason in May? They don't want to talk about it. They just want to show it on the field.

"We've had our backs against the wall," Kimmel said. "It's just unfortunate that we put ourselves in this position."

Navy had a 3-2 lead after the first quarter, but the Blue Jays opened the second quarter with four straight goals to take control. Midfielder Brian Christopher had two goals in that spurt, and midfielders Mark Goodrich and Mark Bryan each had one.

Boyle and Kimmel each had a goal in the final 1 minute, 53 seconds of the second quarter as Hopkins closed the half with an 8-4 lead.

Navy opened the scoring with a goal from midfielder Patrick Moran 44 seconds into the third quarter, but then Hopkins rattled off five straight to finish off the Mids, who were led in scoring by Moran (three goals).

If Navy had any chance of upsetting Hopkins, the Mids had to score early and get a lead. The plan was then to slow the ball and have extended offensive possessions. That all changed after halftime when Navy had to play catch-up.

"Our goal was to come out, score the first couple of goals, and get up on them," Moran said. "We couldn't get up on them and settle down. You're always pressing a little bit when you're down by four or five goals. You just try too hard at times."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.