Roundup

ROUNDUP

April 07, 2009|By From Sun staff and news reports

Miller leaving Xavier to coach at Arizona

col. hoops

Sean Miller of Xavier has accepted the head coaching job at Arizona, ending the Wildcats' search for a high-profile replacement for Hall of Famer Lute Olson. Miller, 40, had a 120-47 record in five seasons at Xavier. He guided the Musketeers to the NCAA tournament four times, including a trip to the Elite Eight last year and the Sweet 16 this year. The hiring came four days after Tim Floyd turned down Arizona's offer and decided to remain at Southern California. In a news release, the university said contract terms would be available when Miller is introduced at a news conference Tuesday. It is believed the school was offering at least $2 million per year - more than double his annual salary at Xavier. Just before the start of last season, Olson retired for health reasons and Russ Pennell took over as interim coach with the understanding he would not be Olson's permanent replacement. Pennell guided the team to its 25th consecutive NCAA tournament appearance.

Wooden Award: : North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough has a chance to repeat as the John R. Wooden Award winner. He, Pittsburgh's DeJuan Blair and Oklahoma's Blake Griffin were named finalists for the award given to the men's Player of the Year. Connecticut's Maya Moore and Oklahoma's Courtney Paris were selected as finalists for the women's award.

Et cetera: : Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton agreed to a five-year contract extension. Terms of the new pact were still being finalized. ... Memphis assistant Josh Pastner has been hired to succeed John Calipari as head coach. Pastner, 31, coached for one year at Memphis and spent six years coaching under Olson at Arizona, where he also played. ... A Washington State official told the Associated Press that Portland State's Ken Bone will be its new coach. ... Boston University has hired Patrick Chambers, Villanova's associate head coach, to be its coach.

Winslow, Bucs agree on $36.1 million deal

nfl

Kellen Winslow and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers agreed to a six-year, $36.1 million contract extension that will make the one-time Pro Bowl selection the highest-paid tight end in NFL history. Agent Drew Rosenhaus said the deal includes $20.1 million guaranteed, a record for a tight end. With incentives, it could be worth up to $42.1 million. Contract talks began soon after the Feb. 27 trade that sent Winslow to Tampa Bay from Cleveland in exchange for a second-round pick in this year's draft and a fifth-rounder in 2010. Winslow, 25, had 219 receptions for 2,459 yards and 11 touchdowns in five seasons with the Browns.

Broncos: : Quarterbacks Kyle Orton and Chris Simms have been told they have to earn the right to replace Jay Cutler, who was traded to Chicago last weekend.

Jurisprudence:: Despite getting into trouble, Plaxico Burress can keep a $1 million signing bonus from the Giants, but Larry Johnson's salary with the Chiefs isn't guaranteed, according to a ruling issued after a grievance hearing. University of Pennsylvania Special Master Stephen Burbank agreed with the players union that money already earned, such as a signing bonus, cannot be forfeited even if a player subsequently gets into trouble, the union's general counsel Richard Berthelsen told the AP. Burress, released by the Giants last week, faces a felony weapons charge.

More Burress: : The former Giant has until April 21 to pay for a traffic ticket he received in Florida from a Broward sheriff's deputy who said the player cursed at him several times. The traffic stop occurred March 18 after the deputy saw Burress cutting off other drivers in his black Toyota Sequoia on Interstate 595, a sheriff's spokeswoman said.

Et cetera: : Quarterback Jeff Garcia, 39, agreed to a one-year deal to be JaMarcus Russell's backup in Oakland. ... Wide receiver Reggie Williams, 25, was charged with drug possession after an off-duty policeman used a Taser to subdue him when he refused to leave a bar in Houston. Williams is an unrestricted free agent.

It's Blast-Rampage for NISL title

et cetera

The Blast will play the Rockford (Ill.) Rampage on Saturday at 1st Mariner Arena for the National Indoor Soccer League championship. That matchup was set Sunday night when Rockford defeated Monterrey La RaZa, 9-6, to tie the semifinal series, then won on a golden goal by Enrique Tovar in the second minute of overtime. In their season series, the Blast won three of four meetings with the Rampage. KENT BAKER

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.