Frank C. Brooks

Insurance company executive and Boys' Latin trustee was an architect of the school's move from downtown

March 30, 2009|By Jacques Kelly | Jacques Kelly,jacques.kelly@baltsun.com

Frank C. Brooks, a retired insurance executive who helped relocate Boys' Latin School from downtown Baltimore to its present campus, died of heart disease March 22 at his North Baltimore home. He was 84.

Born in Baltimore and raised on Melrose Avenue, he was a 1942 graduate of Boys' Latin, where he played lacrosse. His studies at Washington and Lee University were interrupted by service in the Navy during World War II. He was stationed aboard a supply ship in the Pacific Ocean.

He returned to the university, earned a liberal arts degree and worked to introduce lacrosse as a varsity sport. He represented his school at the Lacrosse National Convention. In 1948, he was team captain and set up a schedule of games with other schools. He served on the Washington and Lee board of directors from 1972 to 1983, and in 2004 he was named to the school's Athletic Hall of Fame.

He was also active in the administration of Boys' Latin, where he was a trustee and one of the architects of its move in 1960 from antiquated buildings on Brevard Street - current site of Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall - to West Lake Avenue.

"My father was instrumental in finding the land for the school," said Joseph W.G. "Jay" Brooks of Baltimore. "He would work behind the scenes and was a man of integrity. He did not like to take the limelight."

Mr. Brooks served on the school's board for 24 years, including as its president. He was awarded the Hodges Cup for "devotion and loyalty" to Boys' Latin and was also named a distinguished alumnus.

He was a former chairman and president of his family's business, Tongue, Brooks & Co., on St. Paul Place. He dealt in property and casualty insurance, and retired in 1989.

Mr. Brooks was active in the Roland Park Civic League and served on the boards of the old Baltimore Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital and Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland.

He was a former director of the National Association of Casualty and Surety Agents, the Savings Bank of Baltimore, Robbins and Schweizer Inc., Chesapeake Services, the Roland Park Little League and the Sherwood Forest Club.

Mr. Brooks volunteered with the United Way and Catholic Charities Appeal.

A Mass was offered Thursday at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen.

In addition to his son, survivors include his wife of 60 years, the former Ellen Schneider; two other sons, Frank C. Brooks Jr. of Raleigh, N.C., and James R. Brooks of Houston; two daughters, Louise B. Lucas of Charlotte, N.C., and Margaret B. Tucker of Richmond, Va.; two brothers, F. Rodgers Brooks of Timonium and Harvey S. Brooks of Cape May, N.J.; 13 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.