Mary Rogers, Baltimore County educator


Dr. Mary C. Rogers, a retired Baltimore County public school educator who enjoyed vacationing in Maine, died of pneumonia March 20 at Gilchrist Hospice Care. The Lutherville resident was 83.

Mary Ruth Childs was born in Church Hill, Queen Anne's County, and settled in Lauraville in 1937 with her family.

After graduating from Patterson Park High School in 1942, she enrolled at Western Maryland College, now McDaniel College, where she earned a bachelor's degree in 1946.

She began her teaching career at Westminster High School and joined the faculty of Milford Mill Junior-Senior High School when it opened in 1949.

Dr. Rogers taught English and journalism and also founded the school newspaper, The Mill Wheel. She later became English department chair and sponsor for the American Field Service, and after earning her amateur radio license, she sponsored the school's ham radio club.

In 1960, she left Milford Mill and went to work at the Baltimore County Board of Education headquarters at Greenwood, where she was supervisor of English, speech and drama for county schools.

Dr. Rogers introduced a number of innovative drama programs. She coordinated with professors at local colleges and universities, arranging for them to serve as judges for an annual drama festival she created; worked with the staff of Center Stage; and brought one-act plays to drama classes.

In 1961, Dr. Rogers earned a master's degree from Loyola College and, eight years later, her doctorate from the University of Maryland.

From 1971 to 1972, she was assistant principal of Ridgely Junior High School and was principal of Old Court Junior High School from 1974 until her retirement in 1982.

After her 1965 marriage to Robert C. Rogers Sr., the couple moved to a small Owings Mills farm. They enjoyed spending summers at a home on Great Island in Maine's Casco Bay.

Mr. Rogers died in 2003.

Dr. Rogers was an avid reader, gardener and a genealogist. She had been a member of the Heathfield Garden Club in Lutherville.

She was a longtime communicant of the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, 5603 N. Charles St., where a memorial service will be held at 10:30 a.m. April 16.

Surviving are two brothers, W. Boswell Childs of Rockville and Eugene H. Childs of Kingsville; a sister, Ellen Kylander of Mission Viejo, Calif.; a stepson, Robert C. Rogers Jr. of Timonium; three grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. A stepdaughter, Carol Rogers Inniss, died in 2007.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.