Edward E. Eyring Sr., general contractor

March 27, 2009|By FREDERICK N. RASMUSSEN

Edward Erhard Eyring Sr., retired president of a family-owned general contracting firm that built a number of notable Baltimore buildings, died of complications from a stroke March 19 at St. Joseph Medical Center. The longtime Ruxton resident was 89.

Mr. Eyring was born and raised in Highlandtown. He was a 1938 graduate of Mount St. Joseph High School in Irvington and attended Villanova University.

In 1941, he joined E. Eyring & Sons Co., which had been established by his grandfather, Erhard Eyring, in 1887.

His father, Edward Eyring, headed the company from 1932 until his death in 1964.

Mr. Eyring succeeded his father and operated the company until 1977, when he retired and closed the business. From 1977 to 1980, he was a consultant with the Edward T. Morris Construction Co. Inc.

In addition to convents, rectories and commercial buildings, the company built the Senator Theatre, St. Dominic Roman Catholic Church, the chapel at St. Mary's Seminary & University on Roland Avenue, St. Francis of Assisi Roman Catholic Church, Emmanuel Lutheran Church and Chizuk Amuno.

Museum and school work included additions at the Baltimore Museum of Art, Mount St. Joseph High School, and Holabird and Patapsco Neck junior high schools.

Mr. Eyring was a member of Associated General Contractors and had been an active member of the Highlandtown Exchange Club, which was founded by his father in 1929.

Mr. Eyring was a member of the Knights of Columbus and Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church in Towson, where a Mass of Christian burial was offered Tuesday.

Surviving are his wife of 59 years, the former Rita Connolly; a son, Edward E. Eyring Jr. of Abingdon; a daughter, Deborah Sue Eyring of Baltimore; and three grandsons.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.