Maryland News

January 16, 2009

Man, 25, gets life sentence for killing teenager in 2007

A 25-year-old man was sentenced yesterday to life in prison in the August 2007 killing of a teenager whose burning body was found in a Baltimore County park. Prosecutors said Christopher D. Johnson, of the 4000 block of W. Garrison Ave., and several accomplices believed that Glen Michael Stewart, 17, intended to provide police with incriminating evidence about a robbery. Stewart was shot and his body set afire in a wooded area of Villa Nova Park. Johnson, who was found guilty of first-degree murder, kidnapping and using a handgun in a crime of violence, was sentenced by Baltimore County Circuit Judge Kathleen Gallogly Cox to a life term on the murder count, a concurrent life sentence for kidnapping and a 10-year concurrent sentence on the handgun count. Johnson's co-defendants - Desmond H.W. Jones, 19, Joseph W. Payne, 24, and Jason M. Bond, 23 - are scheduled to go to trial later this year.

Nick Madigan

Delaware man, 28, sentenced in crash that killed Md. teen

A Delaware man, 28, with two vehicular homicides on his driving record - both while drunk - was sentenced yesterday to seven years and eight months in prison in the second incident, which resulted in the death last year of a Havre de Grace teen. In a Dover courtroom, Andrew R. Rankin was told yesterday that upon release from prison he must confine himself to his home in New Castle for a year while he completes a treatment program for alcohol abuse. He will spend at least six months on probation after thatBrian Wilson, 17, suffered fatal injuries June 7, when Rankin's car rear-ended the car in which the teen was riding with a friend. Wilson died June 8. Rankin, driving a Mercedes, failed to reduce speed and rear-ended the 1997 Mazda, police said. Rankin's first conviction for vehicular homicide and DUI followed the death of his girlfriend in 2004.

Nick Madigan and Mary Gail Hare

2nd teen charged in holdup of victims lured by Web ads

A second teenager has been charged with robbing three people who responded to ads posted on Craigslist late last month, Annapolis police said. Antonio Emmanuel Queen, 18, of the 1000 block of Stoll Place in Brooklyn was arrested Wednesday and charged with armed robbery and assault, police said. According to police, Queen and two accomplices robbed three people of cash and credit cards after they responded to ads advertising gift cards and cell phones. Charles Edward Carroll Jr. was arrested Dec. 26, moments after the third robbery, and police are searching for a third, unknown suspect. Queen was released from the Anne Arundel County Detention Center yesterday after posting bail.

Julie Scharper

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.