Rash of shootings over weekend leaves two dead

December 01, 2008|By Brent Jones | Brent Jones,brent.jones@baltsun.com

Baltimore police said four people were shot, two fatally, last night in the northwestern part of the city.

Police responding to a report of multiple shootings at 10:20 p.m. in the 4000 block of Oakford Ave. found a man and a woman in a car suffering from gunshot wounds, according to Agent Donny Moses, a police spokesman. Another man who had been shot was found lying in the street. All three were taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where the male victims were pronounced dead. A fourth shooting victim was found in the vicinity and was taken to Sinai Hospital. The condition of the two surviving victims was not available early this morning. Police did not have a suspect or know of a motive in the shootings.

Last night's shooting followed a series of shootings, none fatal, that occurred during a five-hour span between Saturday night and yesterday morning.

About 11 p.m. Saturday night, a 19-year-old man was shot in the 3400 block of Round Road in Cherry Hill, police said. Witnesses said Gary Daughty had gone to move his car so it would not be towed when an unidentified man approached him, asked where he was from, and then shot him in the chest, police said. Daughty was taken to Shock Trauma, where he was in critical but stable condition yesterday.

Yesterday, three men were shot about 1:45 a.m. outside of a downtown nightclub a block north of the Inner Harbor, according to city police.

The victims, Aaron Richardson, 23; Cleveland Jones, 18; and Carrington McNutt, 21, were shot after leaving the China Room in the first block of S. Calvert St., police said. All three were taken to Shock Trauma and were expected to survive. Police said the victims were walking with friends toward their vehicle when an unidentified man coming from Redwood Street fired several shots. Richardson was shot in the knee, Jones in the stomach, and McNutt in the ankle, police said. The gunman then fled in a white sport utility vehicle, according to police.

About two hours later, a 63-year-old man was shot at a Texaco gas station in the 2600 block of Gwynns Falls Parkway. Police say three males approached Andrew Drayton and demanded his wallet after he had paid for his gas. After a brief struggle, one of the attackers shot Drayton in the face, according to police. The three fled on foot, police said. The victim was taken to Shock Trauma, where he was being treated last night.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.