Anne Arundel police charge 3 men in shooting that killed 2, wounded 2 in Odenton parking lot

November 25, 2008|By Julie Scharper | Julie Scharper,

Three men have been charged with first-degree murder in a shooting that left two men dead and two wounded in a bar parking lot across from Fort Meade last week, Anne Arundel County police said yesterday.

Russell Kelscoe Harden, 26, of the 900 block of First St. in Baltimore; Damon Daryl Dodd, 31, of the 100 block of W. Jeffrey St. in Brooklyn; and James Samuel Watkins, 21, of the 5200 block of Brookwood Road in Brooklyn Park were arrested and charged with first-degree murder, police said.

"These suspects essentially ambushed the victims," Col. James Teare Sr., the county's police chief, said yesterday at a news conference.

The four victims were sitting in a parked car outside Traffic Bar and Lounge in the 1600 block of Annapolis Road in Odenton about 1:30 a.m. Nov. 16 when three men crept up and opened fire, striking all four, according to charging documents.

The three passengers ran from the car, and two of them, Demarcus Terrell Beans, 20, and Terrance James Covington, 25, both of Annapolis, collapsed in the parking lot and died of their wounds, police said. The fourth victim drove out of the parking lot and crashed his car nearby, police said.

Police did not release the wounded victims' names out of concern for their safety.

Harden, who is nicknamed "Yummy," and Covington had a long-running feud that appears to be the motivation for the attack, police said.

Police said they do not believe that the shooting was gang- or drug-related, although there is some indication that Dodd might be a gang member. "We have heard that he may be a member of the Bloods, but we haven't confirmed that yet," said Capt. David Waltemeyer, commander of the criminal investigation division.

The Odenton shooting appears to be linked to a shooting that injured a man later the same day in the 800 block of Betsy Court in Annapolis, Waltemeyer said. "We believe it's related because the victim in that case is believed to be associated [with] the suspects in our case," he said. "It's being investigated to see if it's a retaliatory shooting."

Harden was arrested Thursday and turned over to federal custody after he was found to be in violation of federal probation, police said. Dodd, who was arrested Friday, and Watkins, who was arrested Saturday, are being held at the county detention center without bond pending a hearing, police said.

A fourth suspect, Kecia Veronica Liverpool, 31, of the 900 block of First St. drove the suspects from the scene of the shooting, police said. She was charged with being an accessory to murder after the fact and is being held at the county detention center on $2 million bond, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.