Mount has eventful start

With each team tipping off 100th season, Mountaineers celebrate right, hold off Greyhounds

November 15, 2008|By Bill Ordine | Bill Ordine,

Mount St. Mary's spoiled the centennial anniversary of Loyola's first basketball season and started its own 100th season with a victory as the visiting Mountaineers outlasted the Greyhounds, 84-76, last night at sold-out Reitz Arena.

The nonconference game was the 164th meeting between the two longtime in-state rivals.

Junior point guard Jeremy Goode led the Mountaineers with a game-high 25 points and paced their transition game. Junior forward Kelly Beidler added 17 points for the Mount.

Loyola had five players in double figures, led by sophomores Isaac Reid and Jamal Barney, who both had 14 points.

Despite trailing by double digits several times and only leading briefly at the end of the first half, Loyola rallied to cut the lead to 77-74 with 1:32 left.

But a half-court play by the Mount that started out being run wrong and ended up as two points by senior Sam Atupem gave the Mountaineers a cushion that they built on to the end.

"No one had a look on their face that, 'Oh my goodness, we're going to lose the game,' " Mount St. Mary's coach Milan Brown said. "It was still, 'We're going to win the game.' "

Although the set play started out on the wrong side of the court, Goode worked the ball to fellow guard Jean Cajou, who got it to where it was supposed to wind up, in the hands of the 6-foot-7 Atupem. He tossed in a soft hook from the right side.

"I was trying to go middle all night, and they picked up on that so I slid to the side," Atupem said.

Loyola coach Jimmy Patsos praised the Mount for diving on loose balls, taking charges and making the extra pass.

In the first half, the Mountaineers led by as many as 11 points. After trailing for most of the first 20 minutes, Loyola took brief leads inside two minutes twice, but Atupem made a field goal to give the Mount a 34-33 halftime lead.

A 13-0 Mount run increased the lead to 55-41, but the Greyhounds went to a press defense and went on their own 11-point streak to claw to within 55-52. The Mountaineers led by seven with 2:30 left in regulation before another Loyola rally had it down to a one-possession game.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.