Around The Region

November 15, 2008

Attorney Dyer wins seat on Howard school board


An attorney from Ellicott City was among the winners after the final votes were counted yesterday in Howard County's school board race. Allen Dyer, who ran unsuccessfully for the board in 2006, received 54,148 votes to capture the third and final seat at stake in the election. Janet Siddiqui, a pediatrician from Clarksville who was appointed to fill a vacancy on the board last year, led all candidates with 62,126 votes. Ellen Flynn Giles, the board's current vice chairman, was the other winner, with 57,266 votes. Diane Butler, a community activist from Ellicott City, finished fourth with 53,459 votes.

John-John Williams IV

Rosewood Center hands out pink slips


About 300 Rosewood Center workers were given formal layoff notices yesterday as part of a gradual closure of the state-run treatment facility in Owings Mills that Gov. Martin O'Malley has ordered shuttered by June 2009. Some of the layoffs will take effect Jan. 15, with the rest coinciding with the transfer of the center's remaining severely disabled residents. Health Secretary John M. Colmers said that the affected workers - most of whom are direct caregivers - have been exempted from a statewide hiring freeze and that many may obtain similar jobs with other state programs. The Health Department is also offering training, education and job fairs to help laid-off workers find positions elsewhere. Since January, more than 50 of the 166 residents who were housed there have left, as have about 200 workers.

Gadi Dechter

City officer indicted in Anne Arundel assault


A Baltimore police officer was indicted by an Anne Arundel County grand jury yesterday on first-degree assault charges stemming from a fight at La Fontaine Bleu in Glen Burnie last month. Melvin Ellsworth Jones IV, 28, was off duty and attending an event Oct. 18 when he got into a dispute with another guest and punched him in the head until he lost consciousness, according to a statement of charges written by the victim, Charles W. Smith III, 45. "The defendant was seen by several parties striking me in the back of the head with a shiny metal object in or on his hand," Smith wrote. Smith was taken to a hospital, where he received 12 stitches for cuts, according to the charges. Jones, a Perry Hall resident who has been an officer since 2002, was arrested Oct. 24. He has been suspended without pay, police said.

Julie Scharper

'Snoop' Pearson is found not guilty of drug charge


Felicia "Snoop" Pearson, a 28-year-old murderer-turned-actress on HBO's The Wire , was found not guilty yesterday on one count of marijuana possession, according to Baltimore District Court records. Pearson was arrested in August after homicide officers busted into her home, acting on a "body attachment" warrant that alleged she was not cooperating as a witness in a murder trial. While there, police said, they found two cigars that appeared to contain marijuana and "loose plant material." Pearson was found not guilty because there were other people in the home to whom the drugs could have belonged, said Margaret T. Burns, a spokeswoman for the state's attorney's office. Pearson is a witness in the trial of Steven James Lashley, who is alleged to have stabbed three men - killing one - in late 2005. Authorities said Pearson was not taking prosecutors' calls and failed to show up for a hearing, which led to the warrant's issuance. Pearson, who recently published a memoir called Grace After Midnight, grew up in Baltimore, falling in with drug dealers at an early age. She was sentenced to eight years in prison for second-degree murder after shooting a woman during a fight. She wound up on The Wire, where she played a hitwoman, after being discovered in a nightclub. She credits the show with turning her life around.

Tricia Bishop

Meningitis case suspected at Naval Academy


A Naval Academy first-year student suspected of contracting bacterial meningitis has been transferred to University of Maryland Medical Center, a spokesman said yesterday. The 20-year-old was admitted to Baltimore Washington Medical Center on Wednesday, and test results were pending.

Rona Marech

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.