In Brief


November 13, 2008|By From Sun news services

Iraqi gunman who killed 2 U.S. soldiers is slain

BAGHDAD: Two U.S. soldiers were killed and six others were wounded by an Iraqi soldier in an attack in the northern city of Mosul yesterday, according to the U.S. military, Iraqi security officials and witnesses. The shooter was immediately killed by other U.S. soldiers, they added. While the deaths of the U.S. soldiers were confirmed by the U.S. military, the circumstances surrounding the Mosul shooting remained in dispute. Maj. Gen. Mark P. Hertling, commander of U.S. troops in northern Iraq, said it began when two platoons of U.S. soldiers stopped at a combat outpost staffed by Iraqi soldiers. Two U.S. lieutenants went inside to an office to speak with an Iraqi captain while soldiers from both sides waited outside. Suddenly, Hertling said, an Iraqi soldier with an AK-47 that was equipped with a 70-round drum walked up to the group of soldiers, said something to an Iraqi soldier and then shot one U.S. soldier in the head and another in the stomach. He then began spraying bullets in all directions, the general said, at which point the Americans shot him dead. One U.S. soldier died on the spot, and the other later died from his wounds. Hertling said the shooting remained under investigation by both sides.

N. Korea says it won't allow nuclear sampling

SEOUL, South Korea: North Korea said yesterday that it won't allow outside inspectors to take samples from its main nuclear complex to verify the Communist regime's accounting of past nuclear activities. Pyongyang's Foreign Ministry said in a statement that it never agreed to such sampling, contradicting statements by U.S. officials last month after a breakthrough deal about how to verify North Korea's list of nuclear programs the regime submitted in June under a disarmament pact. The North's Foreign Ministry said yesterday the country agreed last month only to let nuclear inspectors visit its main atomic complex, view related documents and interview scientists.

Pa. lieutenant governor dies at 78; had cancer

HARRISBURG, Pa.: Gov. Ed Rendell says Pennsylvania's lieutenant governor has died. She was 78 and had been undergoing treatment for cancer. Rendell said Catherine Baker Knoll died at National Rehabilitation Hospital in Washington, D.C., where she had been recovering from the treatments. Knoll was the first woman elected as the state's lieutenant governor. She was diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer in July and began radiation and chemotherapy treatments. She returned for the start of the fall Senate schedule in September. But she showed signs of fatigue and said later that month she would take time off on the advice of doctors and family.

Islamic insurgents seize port city in Somalia

MOGADISHU, Somalia: Islamic insurgents seized a strategic port city in Somalia yesterday, raising fears that they were gearing up for an assault on the capital about 50 miles away. The fighters, wearing red head scarves and chanting "God is great," marched into Merka without firing a shot after government troops fled the night before upon hearing of the imminent assault, residents said. The attacks follow similar seizures of the port of Kismayo and several other southern and central Somalia cities in recent months. After being routed from Mogadishu, the capital, in December 2006 by Ethiopian troops, Islamic insurgents have mounted a strong comeback this year. They have retaken much of the territory they lost two years ago. Although Mogadishu remains under the control of Somalia's fragile transitional government and thousands of Ethiopian troops, the city of Baidoa, where parliament is based, is under so much threat that many lawmakers have fled.

Fla. girl, 15, charged in killing of friend at school

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla.: A 15-year-old girl was charged with fatally shooting another student during an argument yesterdayat a Fort Lauderdale high school. Teah Wimberly was charged with first-degree murder and discharging a weapon on school property, Fort Lauderdale police said in a news release. The body of sophomore Amanda Collette, also 15, was found on a hallway floor at Dillard High School about 11 a.m. She was shot in the torso while students were changing classes. Wimberly left campus and walked across the street to a restaurant called Captain Crab's Take-Away where she called authorities and told them that "she had shot her friend," said Sgt. Frank Sousa, a police spokesman. Authorities took her into custody at the restaurant and recovered a gun.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.