McDonogh moves forward

Fernandez lifts Eagles into MIAA 'A' final with last-minute goal

Mount St. Joseph shuts out Gilman

Boys Soccer

November 05, 2008|By Glenn Graham | Glenn Graham,

The past few weeks, McDonogh boys soccer coach Steve Nichols has made sure to get defender Marquez Fernandez some minutes at forward when the No. 1 Eagles needed a spark up front.

It proved to be time well spent.

The standout junior looked right at home in the final minute of yesterday's Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference semifinal against visiting Archbishop Curley. Fernandez anticipated a rebound, got to where he needed to be and put home the game-winner in front to lift the Eagles to a 2-1 win over the No. 9 Friars.

McDonogh (19-1) is set to defend its crown against Mount St. Joseph at 7 p.m. Monday at Johns Hopkins. Curley, which lost three one-goal games to the Eagles this season, finished 12-10-1.

FOR THE RECORD - A soccer player for Archbishop Curley was misidentified in yesterday's Sports section. The player was Ricky Greensfelder.
The Baltimore Sun regrets the errors.

"The conditions were bad, especially for the goalie, so I knew any shot on goal could bounce out at any minute, so I just wanted to get there and follow it up," said Fernandez, who has seven goals at forward.

Junior midfielder Mamadou Kansaye also played a big part in the win. The Eagles started out fast, and he provided the reward with a fine run down the right side before cutting into the middle and burying a left-footed shot from 20 yards for a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute.

The Friars settled in midway through the first half and responded with a goal by Chris Weaver 10 minutes before intermission. The goal ended a string of 13 straight shutout wins for the Eagles.

"I told the guys that was one of the best efforts I've seen in nine years as a head coach at Curley. Maybe not the prettiest effort, but as far as guys digging deep down and doing whatever it took to give ourselves a chance to win," Friars coach Barry Stitz said.

NO. 7 MOUNT ST. JOSEPH 1, NO. 5 GILMAN 0: : Several players stopped when Greyhounds goalkeeper Christian Hall made a diving save of David Arnold's shot early in the second half. But the Gaels' Jalen Robinson kept running, and host Mount St. Joseph was glad he did.

Robinson was in perfect position when the ball squirted free. The freshman easily collected the loose ball and scored, and Mount St. Joseph's tough defense did the rest in the victory over Gilman in a MIAA A Conference semifinal.

The Gaels (15-6) last made it to the final in 2005, when they tied Loyola.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.