Falcons survive

Winters Mill wins after Loch Raven penalty stroke disallowed

Field Hockey Class 2a State Semifinals

November 04, 2008|By Mike Frainie | Mike Frainie,Special to The Baltimore Sun

Katie Jones practices penalty strokes every day. That skill sure paid off for her last night.

In a game that was scoreless through two regulation periods and two overtimes, Jones scored two of Winters Mill's three penalty strokes to give the Falcons (13-3) a controversial win over Loch Raven (12-4) in the Class 2A state semifinals at Arundel High.

With the score tied at two strokes, Loch Raven's Kayla Stolins appeared to win the game when she beat Winters Mill goalie Katherine Horn to her lower left side on the Raiders' fifth stroke.

As the Raiders were celebrating, officials ruled that Stolins had slapped at the ball and disallowed the goal. The teams then went to sudden-death penalty strokes.

On the first stroke, Horn stopped the Raiders' Lindsey Farris. On the next shot, Jones shot high and beat Loch Raven goalie Kirsten Kyne for the win.

The Loch Raven bench argued the call for about 10 minutes, but to no avail.

"It's something I practice ever single day, so repetition took over," Jones said. I'm friends with [Kyne], so it was tough scoring on her. She played really well."

The Falcons will play Kent Island, a 1-0 winner over Patuxent in the other semifinal, in the Class 2A state championship at Washington College in Chestertown on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.

Winters Mill had the run of play for most of the game, getting multiple corners on Kyne. Kyne even stopped two penalty strokes during the game to keep the Raiders alive. But the Falcons could not cash in.

The trip to the state championship will be a first for the Falcons, who lost in the state semifinals in 2006.

"We really didn't change anything in the way we play," Winters Mill coach Carli Swift said. "I knew Katie would do it for us. She is the rock that holds our team together. She's so confident and she handles pressure so well.

In the first semifinal, Madi Wilt scored with 45 seconds left in the first half to give Kent Island (17-0) a 1-0 win over Patuxent (15-1).

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.