Crime & Courts


November 04, 2008

Essex man, 26, charged with injuring boy who died

An Essex man has been charged with severely injuring a 2-year-old boy left in his care who later died, Baltimore County police said yesterday. Arron A. Bogan, 26, of the first block of Cedar Drive was arrested Thursday and charged with first-degree child abuse, police said. Jordan Adams, his girlfriend's son, died early Friday at Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he was being treated for head injuries, said Bill Toohey, a police spokesman. Jordan's mother, Heather Meyers, left the boy with Bogan at his apartment for a few hours Oct. 28 and returned to find her son asleep, according to court documents. After she could not wake the boy, she called 911, police said. The boy was taken to Franklin Square Hospital Center and later transferred to John Hopkins Hospital, where doctors operated on him, court documents said. Because of the boy's death, the abuse charge against Bogan might be upgraded, Toohey said.

From Baltimore Sun staff reports

Suspect in 2007 beating is arrested in Louisiana

An 18-year-old wanted in connection with the beating of a man during a melee in Edgewood nearly a year ago was arrested Friday in Baton Rouge, La., the Harford County Sheriff's Office said yesterday. Otis Lavelle Huff of Edgewood faces assault and attempted-murder charges, Harford County authorities said. On Nov. 25, about 40 people converged on Gregory Simmons' home in the 1900 block of Eloise Lane amid a dispute about a female relative's relationship with a man, the sheriff's office said. In an ensuing fight, at least nine people attacked Simmons, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. A 17-year-old Edgewood girl, Shamere Germany, was convicted last week in Harford County Circuit Court of first-degree assault in the beating and could be sentenced to up to 25 years in prison. Her mother, 32-year-old Natasha Terresa Fowlkes, was convicted earlier this year of first-degree assault and sentenced to 28 years in prison. Huff's mother, Celestine Huff, 37, is scheduled to go to trial in January on an assault charge. Otis Huff was being held in the East Baton Rouge Parish detention facility; it is unknown when he will be returned to Harford County, the sheriff's office said.

David Kohn

Man fatally shot in the city; police searching for 3 men

A man was fatally shot last night in the Poppleton neighborhood, and Baltimore police were searching for three men seen running away moments later. The victim, in his mid-20s or early 30s, was shot several times about 5:30 p.m. yesterday near West Saratoga Street and Carrollton Avenue and was taken by ambulance to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he died about 30 minutes later, said Agent Donny Moses, a city police spokesman. The man's name was withheld pending notification of family members, Moses said. At least two witnesses were being interviewed by homicide detectives at police headquarters.

Richard Irwin

Woman, 86, is raped in her Brooklyn Park home

An 86-year-old woman was raped early Saturday by an intruder who climbed into her bed in her Brooklyn Park home, Anne Arundel County police said yesterday. The woman told police that she was asleep in her home in the 5200 block of Patrick Henry Drive about 3 a.m. when she awoke to find a man assaulting her, police said. The man, who was dressed in black and wearing a mask, fled after the assault, police said. Officers were searching for him. The woman was taken to Baltimore Washington Medical Center, where she was treated and released, police said.

Julie Scharper

Edgewood man convicted in death of 2-year-old girl

An Edgewood man was convicted of second-degree murder yesterday by a Harford County jury in the beating and smothering of his girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter last year. Sean Jones, 20, of the 900 block of Woodbridge Court refused to stand for the reading of the verdict and began screaming as deputies led him from the courtroom, prosecutors said. Jones killed Ashlyn Sutherland on July 6, 2007, when she wouldn't stop crying, prosecutors said. He is in the Harford County Detention Center awaiting sentencing, and could face 60 years in prison.

David Kohn

Pasadena man shoots at police from his house

A Pasadena man fired shots at officers and barricaded himself in his house last weekend, Anne Arundel County police said yesterday. Police received a call about 1 a.m. Sunday about a 34-year-old man, said to be suicidal and armed with a gun, in the 2100 block of Lake Drive. The man fired shots as police approached the house, but no officers were injured nor did they return fire, police said. For seven hours, officers tried to negotiate with the man, who fired more shots from his home, police said. Officers fired tear gas into the home, forcing the man out, and he was taken into custody, according to police. Police said they found a loaded AR-15 assault rifle and spent shell casings in the home. The man had been alone in the house. The man, whose name has not been released, was taken to Baltimore Washington Medical Center for evaluation.

Julie Scharper

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.