The beginning of Bel Air

harford history

November 02, 2008

In 1731 a certificate of resurvey was issued to Daniel Scott called "Scott's Improvement Enlarged." This tract of land included 23 acres called "Scott's Improvement" and 393 acres called "Scott's Friendship." The land was passed down through the Scott family. Aquilla Scott laid out the original town of Bel Air, with Main Street running 39 degrees southeast to northwest. The first lot conveyed out of the town of Bel Air was by deed from Aquilla Scott to Daniel Scott, November 14, 1780. In 1782 Bel Air became the county seat, and by order the Justices of Harford County, on April 25, 1782, almost three acres were laid out to erect a courthouse and jail.

Source: Harford County Directory, 1953. Compiled by the staff of the Harford County Public Library.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.