Annapolis teen pleads guilty to fatal shooting

October 22, 2008|By Julie Scharper

An Annapolis teenager pleaded guilty yesterday to first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of a 17-year-old Annapolis High School junior last spring.

Tyron Montray McGowan, 18, also pleaded guilty to using a handgun to commit a violent crime in the death of Kwame Travon Johnson, prosecutors said.

McGowan is expected to be sentenced to life in prison with all but 30 years suspended under a plea agreement entered in Anne Arundel Circuit Judge Michael E. Loney's courtroom, Assistant State's Attorney Kimberly T. DiPietro said.

Sentencing is scheduled for December 15.

A call to McGowan's attorney, Karl H. Gordon, was not returned.

Johnson, of the 2000 block of Forest Drive, was found bleeding on a sidewalk in the Robinwood public housing community late on the evening of March 16, police said.

The two teenagers had been involved in a dispute, and witnesses saw McGowan, of the 1400 block of Tyler Ave., shoot Johnson, police said.

Johnson's death sparked several rallies and programs to reduce youth violence in the state capital.

He was the fourth of seven people to be killed in Annapolis so far this year.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.