Crime & Courts


October 15, 2008

Chemical bombs explode at Patterson High School

Patterson High School in Southeast Baltimore was closed early yesterday after two bottles containing chemicals exploded, leading to the arrest of one student and the pursuit of another. The first device detonated in a locker shortly after 11 a.m., leading to the evacuation of the school at 100 Kane St. As students were leaving, a second bottle exploded in the cafeteria. A school police officer who was sickened by the fumes was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, according to school system spokeswoman Edie House. Patterson dismissed students for the day about 1:30 p.m., House said, though they were permitted to re-enter the building to get belongings. The city police bomb squad and fire investigators were helping school police investigate the incident.

Sara Neufeld

Gang member sentenced in double shooting

A 21-year-old Bloods gang member was sentenced yesterday to 20 years in prison and five years of probation for a double shooting that left one victim paralyzed from the chest down and another in a coma for six weeks. On the eve of trial, Antonio Ferguson, also known as Theodore Spencer, stood before Baltimore Circuit Judge John N. Prevas with a swollen, blood-filled eye from a jailhouse fight and pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted first-degree murder. As corrections officers led him from the courtroom, Ferguson stared down one of the victims, Terry Wells, who was sitting in his wheelchair in the hall, and sneered, "You tired?" A judge had jailed the second victim and intended target of the shooting - Wells' friend, Rahlyl Ford, 18 - to guarantee his testimony had there been a trial. The shooting occurred about 8 p.m. April 1, 2007, at Loyola Northway and Pimlico Road. The motive for the shooting is unclear, but in a statement to police, Ford said that he was trying to get out of the Bloods. Ferguson, of the 2500 block of Loyola Northway, also faces up to eight years in prison for a probation violation in a handgun and drug-dealing case, and up to 40 years should he violate probation in the attempted murders. Dishon Cohen, 19, of the 1600 block of Cliftview Ave., pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and a handgun charge in August. He is serving 10 years in prison.

Melissa Harris

Man fatally shot on street in Walbrook community

A man was shot to death last night on a street in the Walbrook community in West Baltimore; police had no suspects and knew of no motive for the city's latest homicide. The victim's name was withheld pending notification of family members, said a Police Department spokesman. Southwestern District police responding to a report of a man shot in the 1900 block of N. Rosedale St. found the man bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds, said Agent Donny Moses, the spokesman. Moses said the victim was pronounced dead at the scene by city Fire Department medics. He said at least one witness was being interviewed by homicide detectives. Metro Crime Stoppers at 410-276-8888 is offering a reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to an arrest and an indictment in the slaying. Last night's homicide was the city's 173rd this year, compared with 238 for the same time last year, police said.

Richard Irwin

Man robbed of coins at home likely targeted

An Abingdon man robbed at gunpoint in his bedroom said yesterday that he is sure he was targeted. Mario Gugliotta was robbed early Sunday at his townhouse in the 3600 block of Longridge Court. The two robbers took 8,000 quarters, which Gugliotta said weighed about 80 pounds. He said he collects state quarters for his grandchildren. Gugliotta, a 70-year-old retired Baltimore firefighter, and his wife, Margaret, were sleeping when they heard a noise early Sunday. When Gugliotta went downstairs, he came upon a robber with a gun. No one was hurt.

David Kohn

2 men robbed at gunpoint in Arundel Mills parking lot

A group of armed men robbed two men in the parking lot of a restaurant at Arundel Mills mall, Anne Arundel County police said yesterday. Four to six men approached two others leaving the Golden Corral about 11 p.m. Saturday, displayed a handgun and took money from one man's pockets and a wallet from the other man, police said. In another incident near the mall, a woman leaving the Wal-Mart was attacked Oct. 8 by two men who put her in a headlock and rifled through her pockets before escaping in a dark-colored sport utility vehicle. No arrests have been made in either attack.

Julie Scharper

Man charged with stealing from sheriff's employee

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.