Crime & Courts

October 04, 2008

Man is wounded in Severn shooting

A man was shot yesterday in Severn, and Anne Arundel County police are asking the public's help in gaining more information about the incident. About 12:10 a.m., officers responded to the 8200 block of Marlton Court for a report of a shooting. A wounded man told officers that he saw two vehicles parked nearby, one of which he said was an orange-and-blue, late-model Chevrolet Caprice or Ford Crown Victoria, police said. The man didn't have a description of the second vehicle. The man, who was on foot, said someone in the orange-blue car shot him in the hand and buttocks, then fled. The man was being treated for injuries that were not life-threatening. Sgt. John Gilmer Jr. said only limited information about the shooting was available, but police are continuing to investigate. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 410-222-8610.

From Baltimore Sun staff reports

Man to serve 15 years for gun possession

A Baltimore man will serve 15 years in prison on charges of being a felon in possession of a handgun, federal District Judge Andre M. Davis ruled yesterday. Police caught Delano Melvin Maith, 28, in possession of a pistol after being called for a 2007 domestic disturbance in which he pointed a gun at his girlfriend, according to Maryland U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein's office. Davis found that Maith was an armed career criminal based on previous convictions for possession and intent to distribute narcotics and second-degree assault, Rosenstein's office said in a news release.

Woman fleeing abductor is rescued by trooper

A 19-year-old woman running from her ex-boyfriend on Interstate 95 near North East was rescued by police after the man reportedly kidnapped her in Delaware. A Maryland State Police trooper reported seeing the woman running from 22-year-old Hugo Peralta. The woman tried to jump from Peralta's moving car, and he stopped when she got out. Police said that Peralta had driven up from Alabama to the woman's Newark, Del., home to try to restart their relationship. When she refused, he forced her into the car, hoping to drive her back to Alabama, police said. Peralta was jailed in Cecil County and has been charged with kidnapping and assault. Police also said he has been charged by federal authorities with immigration violations.

Baltimore man guilty of mail fraud conspiracy

A Baltimore man pleaded guilty in federal court yesterday to mail fraud conspiracy, aggravated identity theft and possession of stolen mail, the second such plea in connection with a check theft ring dating to the early 1980s, according to the Maryland U.S. Attorney's office. Joseph Lawrence, 44, and others would steal mail while distributing ad fliers, prosecutors said. They would then make fake IDs and cash the stolen checks, sometimes wearing disguises to avoid detection. Prosecutors said that in the last year alone, at least $400,000 was stolen. Lawrence could face up to 27 years in prison when he is sentenced Jan. 13. Maurice Racks, 53, of Baltimore, pleaded guilty in the scheme last month.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.