Robinson's 2 goals lift Mt. St. Joe over Curley, 3-1

boys soccer

September 11, 2008

Mount St. Joseph forward Jalen Robinson has played in only two high-school games but is already showing he is a pure goal-scorer who is going to create havoc over the next several years.

The freshman scored two first-half goals and was fouled in the penalty area to set up a third in the No. 4 Gaels' 3-1 victory over their host, No. 3 Archbishop Curley. Robinson leads the team in scoring with three goals and an assist.

"I have played against a lot of these guys with my club team," said Robinson, who plays for Bethesda Arsenal after the high school season. "This is almost the same competition. Coach [Mike St. Martin] always wants us to do well, and he says it's not about the polls or about being in first place, but it's doing well as a team."

The Gaels (2-0 overall, 2-0 Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference) opened the scoring with 12:45 left in the first half when Geaton Caltabiano threaded a pass between two defenders and Robinson slotted the ball past goalkeeper John Connolly, who came off his line. Robinson made it 2-0 five minutes later off a header that found the far corner of the goal.

"He's a tremendous player who can play everywhere," St. Martin said.

Curley (1-2, 1-1) got on the board with 2:04 left when Cesar Ramos found the far corner of the goal from the edge of the penalty area. Friars coach Barry Stitz said his team is doing well building its attack but hasn't been able to put together a final pass or two to set up a goal.

"We're not creating enough chances to win games," Stitz said.

Todd Karpovich

McDonogh 2, Loch Raven 1

By no means was it pretty, but in the end, the result was a familiar one for No. 1 McDonogh.

After several missed opportunities led to a scoreless first half, the visiting Eagles (2-0) broke through on a pair of goals by sophomore Julian Griggs and held on for a 2-1 win over No. 15 Loch Raven.

"We were bad," Eagles coach Steve Nichols said. "We're young, and we're really good, but we haven't learned to play yet."

The first half was marked by physical play on both sides as the two teams spent much of the time in Loch Raven territory. The rough play continued early in the second half.

In the 55th minute, Eagles midfielder Mamadou Kansaye went down hard on a tackle near the McDonogh bench and remained down for several minutes. But he stayed in the game, and on the ensuing throw-in, Joe Vidmar found Julian Griggs, whose header gave the Eagles a 1-0 lead. After Loch Raven hit the crossbar, Griggs scored for a 2-0 lead, this time off a feed from Jeremy Kirkwood after another strong throw-in by Vidmar. A late goal by Raiders senior Tim Fiedler cut the lead in half but the Eagles held on for the win.

"We knew they were good," said Raiders coach Joe Fiedler, whose team fell to 0-2. "We were a little overmatched today, but my team played with heart."

Patrick Gutierrez

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.