* The sophomore is looking to build on an impressive freshman year. Baird finished second in the IAAM A Conference title run and helped McDonogh take third overall.
* Borisko has become one of the area's most consistent distance runners. The senior finished second at the Howard County championships last year. She then finished a close second in the Class 3A state race as the Lions won the title.
* This will be her first season in cross country, but the sophomore showed her ability as a distance runner last spring with spectacular performances in all of the major outdoor track meets.
* The senior will combine with Demaree to give River Hill a powerful 1-2 punch. Harman won the Class 2A individual title last year for the Hawks.
* Lee and teammate Mary Fromme give the Seahawks a strong pair of runners at the top of their lineup. The junior finished 11th in the state last year after scoring an impressive victory in the Anne Arundel County championships to help South River finish second.
* She had an outstanding freshman year, and the sophomore could be even better this fall. Linde took second in the Class 2A state title race last year.
* The senior should have momentum and confidence after a strong showing in outdoor track last spring. She won the Class 3A 3,200-meter run by nearly 13 seconds and took fifth in the 1,600.
C. Milton Wright
* She helped the Mustangs edge Eleanor Roosevelt to win the Class 4A state title last year. The junior finished 17th in the state race and was a consistent performer in tough races.
Glenelg Country School
* Coming from an IAAM B Conference school, her impressive performance in winning the league championship last year caught everyone's attention. The senior won the race by nine seconds and then took third at the private schools meet.
* John Carroll
The sophomore had a standout season last year as the Patriots' No. 3 runner. She turned in strong performances in the big meets. She will have to take over the No. 1 role this year.
OTHER NOTABLES: Chelsey Bush, Dulaney; Allie Dearie, Century; Madeline Dulac, McDonogh; Emma Fesperman, Towson; Mary Fromme, South River; Caitlyn Fuller, Howard; Lane Hahn, Winters Mill; Maddy Jackson, Institute of Notre Dame; Olivia Joseph, Centennial; Ellie Kavanagh, Towson; Liz Kimble, Oakland Mills; Payton Lawrence, River Hill; Samantha Matthews, Glenelg Country School; Meghan McAdorey, John Carroll; Samantha McElroy, Liberty; Kirsten McGovern, Century; Meredith Mill, Howard; Marta Randall, Hereford; Colleen Randolph, St. Mary's; Catherine Robinson, South Carroll; Anna Roth, Franklin; Julianna Rubino, Notre Dame Prep; Jasmine Savage, Meade; Liz Schiavone, Notre Dame Prep; Jamie Scott, River Hill; Erica Scripa, C. Milton Wright; Lindsey Siferd, Wilde Lake; Lindsay Smith, C. Milton Wright; Sarah Steinmetz, Institute of Notre Dame; Rachel Sykes, South Carroll; Becky Yep, Mount Hebron
1. River Hill (Last season: ranked No. 4)
2. Howard (3)
3. C. Milton Wright (1)
4. Dulaney (2)
5. Towson (unranked)
6. Century (8)
7. South River (unranked)
8. South Carroll (7)
9. Severna Park (6)
10. Hereford (5)
OTHERS CONSIDERED: Glenelg Country School (unranked), Institute of Notre Dame (unranked), John Carroll (unranked), Mount Hebron (unranked), Notre Dame Prep (No. 9)