In 1912, students were transported by a horse-drawn 'Kid Wagon' to school

harford history

August 24, 2008

Students across Harford County will be boarding school buses for the first time this week. In 1912, students were boarding "The Kid Wagon." Harford was one of the first counties in Maryland to offer a transportation system for the schools. After several one-room schools were closed and a central school, the Highland School, was built, students would have to walk as far as three miles. Mrs. George E. Harkins was employed to transport the children from the Mine Branch District. "The Kid Wagon" was a horse-drawn spring wagon, usually driven by the older school boys. Each morning, students would gather at the Harkins home or the old school. At the sound of a large conch blast or the school bell, the wagon would set off for the Highland School.

Source: Our Harford Heritage: A History of Harford County, Maryland by C. Milton Wright. 1967. Compiled by the staff of the Harford County Public Library.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.