August 16, 2008

Woman's body found under park bridge

A jogger found a woman's body under a bridge in Herring Run Park in Northeast Baltimore yesterday morning, city police said.

The body had not been identified yesterday, but police said they believe she had been in her 30s. She was found about 7 a.m. lying on rocks between a paved trail and a river that runs under a bridge on Harford Road, police said.

Her death has been classified as "suspicious" pending an autopsy by the state Medical Examiner's Office.

Agent Donny Moses, a police spokesman, said the body did not show any signs of physical trauma. She was not carrying any identification, he said

About 10 a.m., two city police vans arrived at the park carrying more than a dozen police cadets, who were going to help search the crime scene for clues.

Moses said the woman's body was found in a recreation area that is not known for crime. Signs at the park say that it is closed from dusk to dawn, but the park is not gated overnight, police said.

Gus G. Sentementes

and Annie Linskey

Baltimore County


Police funeral today to close highways

Parts of the Baltimore Beltway, Interstate 795 and Interstate 83 will be closed this afternoon for a funeral procession for Lt. Michael Howe, who was commander of the Baltimore County police tactical unit, authorities said.

According to Baltimore County police, there also will be sporadic closures of Route 30 in Carroll County from 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. today in the area of North Carroll Middle School and St. Bartholomew Roman Catholic Church in Manchester, where the service will take place at 9:30 a.m.

After the service, starting about noon, both Route 30 and southbound I-795 will be closed for the funeral procession to Timonium. About 12:30 p.m., police will close the inner loop of the Beltway from I-795 to I-83, and northbound I-83 to Padonia Road. About 2 p.m., Padonia Road will be closed from I-83 to Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens. The roads will reopen after the procession passes.

Lieutenant Howe died Monday of a stroke he suffered a day earlier after leading an investigation into a murder-suicide in Randallstown.

He is receiving full departmental honors.



Escapee sentenced in absentia

A man who escaped a state prison van on his way to Baltimore Circuit Court was sentenced in abstentia yesterday to five years in prison without parole in a gun case.

Circuit Judge Charles G. Bernstein also sentenced Marcus Anderson, 22, of the 800 block of Herndon Court, to a three-year term, to run concurrently, for a second handgun-related charge.

A warrant for Anderson's arrest has been active since his escape during the first week of July. The corrections officer who tried to bring Anderson to court was not carrying a radio or cell phone. The felon also was not wearing handcuffs and was transported in an unsecure van without cages.

Melissa Harris

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.