Harford History

August 10, 2008

On August 13, 1789, John H. Barney was appointed postmaster for Havre de Grace. Postal service has been continuous in Havre de Grace since then.

However, records show that service began in that area much earlier. In 1728, a postal route was established from Philadelphia to Annapolis by way of the western shores of the Chesapeake Bay. Then in 1732, The American Weekly Mercury describes a route running from Philadelphia to Edenton, N.C., with a stop in Susquehanna (now Havre de Grace). Susquehanna is again noted in 1763, in a table of postage rates issued by Benjamin Franklin. It was the first post office in Maryland.

Source: Harford Historical Bulletin, Number 53. Winter 1993.

Compiled by the staff of the Harford County Public Library

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.