Harford History

July 06, 2008

Trailing History from Forest to Glen

On July 2, 1701, Capt. Thomas Clagett left 1,000 acres along Winters Run to three of his children, George, Charles and Martha. Along with portions of four other land tracts patented in the 1680s, Clagett's Forest is now part of Harford Glen Environmental Education Center.

Captain Clagett was born in London about 1644 and arrived in southern Maryland between 1670 and 1672. Although Clagett was originally interested in purchasing land along larger waterways allowing shipping, he settled for inland property along a smaller creek that could provide power for a mill. Like much of Harford County, the land was valued for farming and for its timber, including white and red oak, walnut, cedar, ash and poplar.

Source: Harford Glen: An Outdoor Classroom and Preserve by Jack L. Shagena

Compiled by the staff of the Harford County Public Library

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.