Havre de Grace church to celebrate 100th year

June 22, 2008

The Church of St. Patrick of Havre de Grace will celebrate the 100th anniversary of the opening of the present church at Stokes and Congress streets June 29 with a re-dedication Mass and reception.

The Centennial Weekend will include a recognition and re-dedication of the church at each Mass. A Mass of Re-dedication will be held at 3 p.m. June 29, led by William C. Newman, retired auxiliary bishop of Baltimore, and the Rev. William J. O'Brien III, pastor of St. Patrick.

A Centennial reception will be held at 4:30 p.m. June 29 in St. Patrick Hall, featuring an exhibit of historical and archival memorabilia, remarks by Newman and others, and a continuous large screen presentation of historical photos from the church.

The church will be joined by state, county and civic leaders, and Baltimore archdiocese guests. Church school students are preparing a time capsule for the anniversary. A centennial quilt with parishioner signatures will be on display, and commemorative 100th anniversary pins have been created by the Centennial Committee.

An anniversary Book of Memoirs will also be published with the history and people of the church after the centennial celebration.

According to church records, St. Patrick was completed in 1908 and featured 22 stained glass windows in the neo-Gothic style building. The cost was $51,522.68, including the land.

Information: 410-939-2525.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.