Plumber accused in plot to kill

Man is charged in plan to have wife murdered

June 14, 2008|By Annie Linskey and Madison Park | Annie Linskey and Madison Park,Sun Reporters

The owner of a Harford County plumbing company was arrested and charged with attempted murder after offering to pay an associate $20,000 to beat and kill his wife, city police said yesterday.

Homicide detectives arrested George Thompson, 37, on Thursday night, said Agent Donny Moses, a Baltimore police spokesman. Thompson was charged with first-degree attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder. He is being held without bail.

A message left with Thompson's attorney was not answered yesterday.

Thompson approached an associate June 4 at a South Baltimore job site and told him that he and his wife were going through a nasty divorce, according to charging documents. Thompson then took the man out to his work truck and showed him a "large quantity of cash," according to police charging documents written by Detective Ray Yost.

FOR THE RECORD - An article in Saturday's Maryland section about a plumber accused of hiring a man to kill his wife misstated the criminal charges that the plumber faces in the attempt on her life. George Thompson, 37, was charged with solicitation to commit murder and conspiracy to commit murder.
The Sun regrets the error.

Thompson provided funds for disposable cell phones so the pair could communicate undetected, according to the documents.

"They were supposed to do it last Friday," Moses said. But for some reason, the associate did not go through with the killing.

That associate, whom Moses did not identify, contacted police Tuesday and cooperated in an investigation.

Detectives taped conversations between Thompson and the associate, according to charging documents.

About 8 p.m. Thursday, an undercover detective followed while Thompson met with his hired hit man at Towson Town Center Mall, Moses said.

They drove north and met at a deli at the intersection of Routes 152 and 165 in Harford County, Moses said.

Thompson and the associate "drove into the neighborhood where Ms. Thompson lives and they also walked the wood line near the house together," according to the documents. As they walked, they discussed killing Thompson's wife and the money that would be exchanged. Unbeknown to Thompson, that conversation was recorded by police, according to the documents.

They drove back to the deli and talked some more.

"George Thompson then handed him a brick and said he could use it if he needed to," according to the documents. Then they parted.

Thompson drove south on Route 165 and was pulled over and arrested by Maryland State Police and Baltimore City homicide detectives. He was taken back to the city homicide department and questioned, Moses said.

Thompson owns G.T. Thompson's Plumbing, Inc., a commercial and residential plumbing company, according to police and state records. The company Web site shows a cartoon of a beefy man holding a wrench and photographs of a man fixing toilets and showers.

Court records show that George Thompson was engaged in a custody battle and divorce with Amanda Thompson. The couple separated almost a year ago, according to court papers.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.