Kimbers carries McDonogh girls to outdoor title

Archbishop Curley boys strong in relay to edge Mt. St. Joe

Track and field

May 18, 2008|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Special to The Sun

The McDonogh girls suffered a tough loss in the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland indoor track championship meet three months ago. Amanda Kimbers broke her foot in a freak accident the night before, which opened the door for Seton Keough to edge the Eagles and take the title.

But Kimbers felt just fine at yesterday's IAAM outdoor title meet at Calvert Hall. She played a big role in helping No. 1 McDonogh crush the rest of the field en route to a fifth consecutive championship. The Eagles finished with 196 points, easily beating No. 3 Seton Keough (109).

On the boys' side, No. 3 Archbishop Curley had a tougher time winning its third straight Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association title, scoring a three-point victory over No. 6 Mount St. Joseph.

Kimbers won the 100 meters (12.20) and the 200 (25.29), ran on the victorious 400 relay (49.80) and finished third in the long jump. The sophomore said her Eagles teammates had pointed to this ever since falling in the indoor championship race.

"We just really wanted it, and it was just great that we were able to come together as a team," Kimbers said. "People are willing to go out and try new things and do different things on this team. We understand that points are really important."

The Eagles were able to get points from a large number of places, winning 10 events overall. Teammate Kristen Brown won the long jump (18-3.25), the 100 hurdles (14.37) along with the 300 hurdles (45.60). She also ran in the victorious 800 relay (1:45.43). Moriah Young also won twice for McDonogh, taking the discus (112-7) and the shot put (38-7).

"It was just sort of points across the board," said Jeff Sanborn, who coaches McDonogh with Alrick Monroe.

The Curley boys used their depth to edge Mount St. Joseph, 112-109.The Friars had a five-point lead heading into the 1,600-meter relay.

Curley needed to finish at least third to lock out the Gaels. But the Friars were fourth heading into the final lap with St. Joe in front and battling for first. That's when George Chambers took the baton and pulled Curley into third place and sealed the team title.

"I wanted to take off as fast as possible," Chambers said. "I just wanted to do my best."

Chambers also won the 200 (21.95) and 400 (50.18) and ran on the first-place 800 relay (1:29.50) team. Eric Franklin and Jerome Junior also helped in the victory.

Franklin won the 110 hurdles (14.85) plus the 800 relay. Junior captured the high jump in 6-6 and took second in the long jump. No. 5 Gilman was close in third with 96 points, led by Jabulani Blyden and his victory in the 300 hurdles (39.76) plus a second-place finish in the 110 hurdles.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.