Harford History

The Amos Mill

May 04, 2008

On May 4, 1891, Isaac Amos acquired the oldest of the mills built by the Wiley family during revolutionary times. The Amos Mill is on Island Branch, three miles east of Norrisville. The three-story building is made of field stone and hand-hewn logs with lime mortar filling.

The original water wheel was wood, but in 1926, John Amos, son of Isaac, replaced it with steel. Hardwood oak machinery fills the first floor with huge beams, cogs and gears, shafts and weights. The second floor houses the grinding equipment and hoppers. Amos Mill is one of the oldest surviving gristmills in Harford County.

Source: Our Harford Heritage; a History of Harford County, Maryland by C. Milton Wright

Compiled by the staff of the Harford County Public Library

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.