Crime Watch

January 09, 2008

Man was shot, autopsy shows

The autopsy of an unidentified man whose body was found yesterday morning in an abandoned West Baltimore rowhouse showed the man had been shot, and his death has been ruled a homicide, a Police Department spokesman said yesterday.

It was the city's third homicide this year as of yesterday, compared with 10 for the same time last year, according to police records.

About 8:30 a.m., Southwestern District police responding to a call entered a house in the 3000 block of W. North Ave. in the Walbrook community and found the man's body, said Officer Troy Harris, the spokesman.

Harris said a preliminary investigation at the scene by homicide detectives had indicated that the man apparently had been shot.

It was not known how long the man had been dead, Harris said.

Metro Crime Stoppers at 410-276-8888 is offering a reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to an arrest and indictment in the killing.

Richard Irwin

Guard is acquitted of assault

A University of Maryland Medical Center security guard accused of assaulting a cancer patient as the patient performed a Muslim cleansing ritual was acquitted of all charges yesterday, according to the city state's attorney's office.

The defendant, Rodney Corban, had waived his right to a jury trial and agreed to have the case heard by Judge Lynn K. Stewart. The trial lasted one day.

Dr. Mohammed A. Hussain said the encounter occurred in March, just before he was to have surgery to remove a tumor on his tongue. He alleged that he was washing his hands and feet in the bathroom when Corban, who was off-duty, confronted him, pushed him out of the bathroom and down a hall and then restrained him.

Hussain, a Prince George's County resident and practicing physician and radiologist, acknowledged during cross-examination that he was not wearing an identification badge required of all patients, visitors and staff members, and that the security guard allowed him to finish his ritual before making him leave.

The doctor has also filed a $30 million lawsuit against the hospital, which is pending.

Pair of students, man shot in Prince George's

Police are investigating an apparent drive-by shooting yesterday afternoon in Glenarden in which two female high school students were wounded, one seriously.

The shooting occurred shortly before 5 p.m. in the 9500 block of Ardwick Ardmore Road, about a quarter-mile from Charles Flowers High School, Prince George's County police said. School had been dismissed.

Cpl. Arvel Lewis, a police spokesman, said two girls were walking together when one of several occupants of a passing car fired shots, hitting one girl in the upper torso and the other in an arm.

A man in his late 30s walking nearby was shot in the leg and was treated at the scene for a minor wound. Lewis said it appeared that the man was not an intended target.

The girls were taken to Prince George's Hospital Trauma Center in Cheverly, where the girl who was shot in the torso was reported in critical condition.

The condition of the other girl was not available.

A county schools spokeswoman, Tanzi West, described the girls, both juniors, as "wonderful kids."

Richard Irwin and Brent Jones

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.