Electrical problem called likely cause of fatal fire

January 03, 2008|By Liz F. Kay

An electrical problem probably caused the fire in a Roland Park home last month that resulted in the deaths of two children and seriously injured their father, according to a Baltimore Fire Department report.

An investigation found that the fire began about 4:15 a.m. Dec. 6 in a music room on the first floor of the three-story brick home in the 200 block of Ridgewood Road, the report says.

The fire spread to the second floor of the house and parts of the roof above the third floor.

Mary Abigail Young, 11, died at a hospital that day, and her brother, Matthew Sam Young, 16, died two days later.

A city fire investigator concluded that the electrical problem was in the house's wiring or in an appliance. The remains of a space heater, a lamp and an unidentifiable appliance were in the room, the report says.

The report estimates the damage at $325,000. It was unclear whether the smoke detectors in the home were working, the report says.

Stephen A. Young, a deputy copy desk chief at The Sun, has been moved to a regular hospital room at Johns Hopkins Hospital and is breathing on his own, said a family member who added that Young's condition has significantly improved.

Young, who had earlier been in critical condition, was in fair condition last night.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.