St. Frances rolls over Blake, 63-35

In later game, Arundel falls to team from Va.

Girls basketball

December 30, 2007|By Stefen Lovelace | Stefen Lovelace,Sun reporter

LARGO -- After losing its first game of the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials tournament, the St. Frances girls basketball team could have easily mailed in its last two games.

But the Panthers rose to the occasion, routing Blake of Montgomery County, 63-35, yesterday at Prince George's Community College.

The victory came after a 20-point win over Largo of Prince George's County the night before.

"We played two good games together," St. Frances coach Jerome Shelton said. "We needed that going into [Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland] conference play in January. I feel really good about where we are right now."

The No. 2 Panthers (10-1) never felt any threat and ran away with yesterday's game in the second quarter.

On offense, forward Briana Hutchen was hard to stop. Up 18-13, St. Frances went on a 15-1 run in the last several minutes of the second quarter. Hutchen contributed 10 during that span. The Bengals were held to four points in the quarter.

The second half wasn't much different, except that St. Frances guard Shatrya Hawkes was the one taking care of the scoring. She scored 13 of her game-high 19 points after the break.

Hutchen finished with 17 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks. Tasia Bristow was active with eight points, six rebounds and five steals.

In the later game, No. 4 Arundel played its final game of the tournament close but fell to Forest Park of Woodridge, Va., 55-49. The Wildcats were ahead 18-12 after the first quarter but were held scoreless in the next six minutes.

Arundel (3-4) struggled to get the ball to forwards Simone Egwu and Sherrone Vails during that time, and Forest Park point guard Danni Jackson got hot shooting the ball. She got to the paint at will and scored on up-and-under layups and step-back jump shots. She had eight points in the quarter.

Arundel was down 46-37 going into the fourth quarter but fought back with a quick 8-0 run, including back-to-back three-pointers from Ashley Davis (10 points), and were down by one point with five minutes left.

They couldn't stop the scoring of Jackson or Deidre Richardson, though. On the next possession, Richardson hit a jump shot in traffic, and, two possessions later, Jackson was fouled and made her free throws.

Jackson had a game-high 26 points, and Richardson added 19 points and four rebounds.

"We have a lot of fight in us," Arundel coach Lee Rogers said. "It's our decision making. It's a sign of our youth, is what it's coming down to."

Egwu finished with 17 points and 14 rebounds. Vails added 14 points, six rebounds and two blocks but was limited in the second half after picking up her fourth foul early in the third quarter.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.