Assault fugitive arrested in La.
More than a month after he was mistakenly freed from a Maryland prison, a man accused of a 1999 sexual assault in Glen Burnie was arrested in Louisiana after authorities say he broke into a home on Christmas Eve.
Ronald Lee Moore, 40, was picked up in Destrehan, La., where he was spotted riding a bicycle and carrying a bag of tools, said Sgt. Dwayne LaGrange of the St. Charles Parish Sheriffs Department. Moore, who has been described as a former crack addict with a long history of burglaries, gave an alias but was identified through fingerprints after being taken into custody.
Moore had been on the run since Nov. 21, when he was released from the Baltimore City Correctional Center after serving about seven years of a 13-year sentence for assault and burglary. Officials had been instructed to transport Moore to the Anne Arundel County Detention Center, but released him due to a clerical error. Moore is set to go to trial Feb. 5 on charges of first- and second-degree sex offense, unnatural or perverted practice, second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, possession of a deadly weapon and first-degree burglary, stemming from an October 1999 sexual assault.
Maryland section, Friday
New homes sales continue to drop
Sales of new homes in Anne Arundel County have plummeted in the past two years, according to a recent analysis prepared for local homebuilders. But County Executive John R. Leopold said he's unfazed by the possibility that raising impact fees on developers could further stymie residential growth.
The number of new single-family homes, townhouses, condominiums and duplexes sold in Anne Arundel is projected at 878 this year, up from 786 a year earlier, according to data compiled by Hanley Wood Market Intelligence. But those totals represent a substantial drop from an annual average of 1,400 from 2001 to 2005.
In a further indication of the languishing housing market, about 4,000 existing homes are listed for sale in the county, quadruple the number this time last year.
Anne Arundel section, Friday
Shot food deliverer latest to be robbed
A Chinese-food deliveryman was shot and robbed last week in the latest and most violent of similar thefts that have prompted employers to reinforce safe delivery policies.
The man, identified as a 47-year-old from Linthicum who speaks little English, was found about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in the vestibule of an apartment building in the first block of Crain Court, suffering from gunshot wounds. He was transported to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Police had no information on his condition.
His employer, China Spring Carry Out, said he was dropping off a dinner order at that address, when he was shot. That would make him at least the eighth food-delivery driver robbed since August, many at gunpoint. County police issued an advisory Oct. 4 warning restaurants to be cautious when accepting orders from cell phones, noting a recent rash of robberies in the Severn area. They said armed suspects were demanding money upon the drivers arrival at the delivery locations. Since then, several more robberies have taken place, predominantly in the Glen Burnie area. Groups of teens are believed to be responsible in most instances.
Anne Arundel section, Friday
Bell ringer missing along with bucket
Anne Arundel County police are searching for a Salvation Army volunteer accused of stealing one of the charity's donation buckets after being reprimanded.
He was a bell ringer at a Wal-Mart near Russett when someone wanted to make change for a donation. He called his supervisor to get permission, but couldn't reach her so he went ahead and used his own money to break a $5 bill.
Later that day, Wanda Browning says she called the volunteer back to say such action violated their policy. She told police he became angry and hung up the phone.
Police say he left with the bucket Dec. 20. Browning told police the bucket contained between $300 and $500.
Maryland section, Thursday
Future of trash could be problem
Efforts to boost recycling collections are getting extra emphasis in Howard and Anne Arundel counties as officials contemplate the looming end of their bargain-price trash disposal contracts.
Both jurisdictions have shipped most of their residential trash by train from Annapolis Junction on their common border to a private commercial landfill in Virginia for $33 a ton since the mid-1990s. That contract with Waste Management Inc. will expire in five years, and the cost of any new agreement is expected to more than double.
"Fees are going to go up, one way or another," said Howard County Executive Ken Ulman. "People believe they could triple."
Other than increasing recycling to cut the flow of trash, Anne Arundel County Executive John R. Leopold said he has no firm plans yet. "We don't have anything on the front burner. I'm open to any constructive ideas," he said.
Maryland section, Monday