Grief and fury sweep Pakistan

Assassination of Bhutto sparks violent protests

Bhutto Assassinated

December 28, 2007|By Laura King

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan — RAWALPINDI, Pakistan-- --The assassination of Benazir Bhutto, the charismatic opposition leader who had promised to restore democracy in Pakistan, set off a nationwide wave of grief and fury and raised the specter of violent unrest that could threaten the government of U.S.-backed President Pervez Musharraf.

At least 20 other people died in yesterday's assault just outside the main gates of a Rawalpindi park where Pakistan's first prime minister was assassinated in 1951. Bhutto's white SUV was hit by close-range gunfire, then rocked by a powerful explosion set off by a suicide attacker.

There were conflicting reports on whether there were one or two attackers, but several witnesses said they saw a gunman fire shots at Bhutto and then blow himself up. No one immediately claimed responsibility for the assassination, but Islamic extremists had repeatedly threatened the progressive-minded former prime minister.

Musharraf called on his compatriots to remain calm; demonstrators, however, aimed their rage at the former general, whom Bhutto often called a dictator. "Musharraf is a dog!" protesters shouted at the hospital where Bhutto died. "Killer, killer!" others chanted. Nine people were reported killed in rioting overnight.

The assassination, in the city that is the headquarters of the Pakistani military, raised fears that Musharraf would again assume sweeping powers to keep order. On Nov. 3, the government declared a state of emergency, akin to martial law, and used broad police powers to round up thousands of opponents. Musharraf, a key U.S. ally in the "war on terror," ended the emergency rule Dec. 15.

Within hours of her death, Bhutto's body, placed in a plain wooden coffin, was put aboard a flight for her ancestral hometown, the southern city of Larkana. Officials said the funeral could be held as early as today, in keeping with Muslim tradition that calls for a swift burial.

She was to be buried in the same mausoleum as her father, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, who was hanged in 1979 by the military leader who had deposed him as prime minister. Days after her return to Pakistan in October, Bhutto had visited her father's grave to pay homage, scattering rose petals on the white marble tomb.

In some ways, hers was a death foretold. Bhutto, 54, had spoken often about the prospect of a violent end at the hands of Islamic extremists or other assailants. She did so again just before the attack that killed her.

"I risked my life and came here because I believe our country is in danger," Bhutto told a flag-waving crowd of supporters at yesterday's rally, just 12 days before general elections were scheduled to take place.

Bhutto had said she believed that rogue elements in the government had conspired in a previous assassination attempt when she returned to Pakistan in October. She escaped injury in that powerful explosion, in which a suicide bomber struck her convoy in Karachi, killing more than 150 people.

From the beginning, security fears had shadowed Bhutto's election campaign. Despite repeated warnings that she could be targeted, and her bitter complaints about the lack of security provided by the government, Bhutto insisted on her right to appear at the big open-air rallies that are the mainstay of Pakistani politics.

Those entering the leafy, gated park where Bhutto's last rally was held encountered some security barriers. Everyone had to pass through metal detectors and undergo a body search, with female police officers frisking the women.

But the police presence was relatively light; Bhutto's private security guards hustled her on and off the stage and kept watch over the crowd, cradling automatic weapons. And once she left the rally grounds, there was no police escort, only Bhutto's own force of volunteer guards surrounding her car, putting their bodies between her and any attacker.

The assassination represents a blow to the Bush administration, which has been Musharraf's chief backer. U.S. officials had hoped Musharraf and the Western-educated Bhutto would reach a detente that would stabilize the nuclear-armed country and intensify the effort against Islamic fundamentalists hiding in the nation's border regions.

At his ranch near Crawford, Texas, President Bush was told of the assassination at his morning briefing. "The United States strongly condemns this cowardly act by murderous extremists who are trying to undermine Pakistan's democracy," he said.

Yesterday's carefully choreographed assault cut Bhutto down without mercy. Aides said they believed the bullet wounds Bhutto initially suffered would likely have been fatal even without the subsequent fiery blast.

"I saw the flash, heard the boom, and there were people with their limbs missing, all of them on the ground," said Ghulam Mustafa, who was a short distance away from the attack. The ground was littered with charred debris, scattered shoes and scraps of clothing, soaked by congealing pools of blood.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.