3 in the city arrested in separate shootings

CRIME WATCH

December 14, 2007|By Gus G. Sentementes | Gus G. Sentementes,SUN REPORTER

Members of the police regional warrant apprehension task force have arrested three people in the city, including a juvenile, who are charged in three separate shootings this year, police said yesterday.

Two of the three suspects had pleaded guilty to felonies this year in Baltimore Circuit Court but were released after they were given suspended sentences and placed on probation, court records show. Each was arrested Wednesday.

Task force members said they arrested Kweisi Battle, 24, in the 400 block of E. Preston St. on a charge of attempted first-degree murder in a Nov. 12 shooting in the 500 block of N. Schroeder St. in West Baltimore.

FOR THE RECORD - A Crime Watch item in Friday's Maryland section about the first-degree murder conviction of Raymond Handy in a 2005 shooting in Baltimore misstated the motive for the killing. Evidence showed that it was over a family dispute, not a drug dispute. Handy was on probation, not on parole, at the time of the killing.
The Sun regrets the errors.

In August last year, Battle was arrested and charged with attempted murder in a July shooting. In March this year, he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge, first-degree assault. A judge gave Battle a suspended 15-year sentence and placed him on three years' probation, according to court records.

In the second arrest Wednesday, police charged Maurice Barfield, 28, of the 4900 block of Alhambra Ave. with attempted first-degree murder in a shooting July 15 in the 1700 block of N. Rutland Ave. in East Baltimore.

In April, Barfield had pleaded guilty to drug distribution, was given a suspended five-year sentence and placed on probation for three years, court records show.

The juvenile arrested was identified as Kevin Reverley, 15. Police said he was charged as an adult in connection with a shooting Dec. 10 in the 3700 block of Bonview Ave. in East Baltimore.

Gus G. Sentementes

Bags of cash stolen from bank

A man posing as an armored-car driver stole bags of cash from a Bank of America about noon yesterday in Ellicott City, Howard County police said.

Police and "an outside organization" that has asked to remain anonymous are offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest, said police spokeswoman Sherry Llewellyn said. Llewellyn said she does not know how much money was stolen, but she said that the man left with "bags of money" from the bank in the 9100 block of U.S. 40. He was dressed as a security guard. Bank employees become suspicious after watching him drive away in a private car, rather than an armored truck. They contacted the security company, which confirmed that the pickup was unauthorized.

Anyone who has information about the incident is asked to contact police at 410-313-3200.

Melissa Harris

Man convicted in '05 killing

A Baltimore jury yesterday convicted a man of first-degree murder in a drug-related killing in May 2005 in the 2900 block of Greenmount Ave.

Raymond Handy of the 500 block of E. 30th St. was also convicted of using a handgun to kill Mark C. Jones, 40.

Handy, 37, was on parole for a drug offense at the time of the shooting, police said.

It was unclear last night when he will be sentenced by Circuit Judge John C. Themelis.

Julie Bykowicz

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.