3 freshmen stabbed at Morgan

2 other freshmen suspected in incident outside residence hall

December 07, 2007|By Gadi Dechter | Gadi Dechter,Sun reporter

Morgan State University police think that at least two freshmen were involved in the stabbings of three other freshmen early yesterday outside a residence hall, a college spokesman said.

Two of the male victims were treated and released from Good Samaritan Hospital.

A third male victim was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he remained yesterday evening with injuries not believed to be life-threatening, said spokesman Clinton Coleman.

Shortly after midnight, a female freshman left a dorm-room party and was harassed by at least two men outside the Thurgood Marshall residence hall, Coleman said.

She returned to the dorm room, where her friend was celebrating a birthday, and asked three male freshmen to come outside with her.

"The three gentlemen came to her assistance and were stabbed by the perpetrators outside," Coleman said.

By the time campus police arrived, the assailants had left, Coleman said.

Police planned to arrest two student suspects yesterday evening but did not release their names. One is from Atlantic City, N.J.; the second is from Baltimore.

Police also suspect that a third person - not a student - was involved, Coleman said.

Authorities think the suspects were known to the young woman who was initially accosted.

Morgan police did not notify the campus community of the incident through the public college's "mobile alert" system, which sends text messages to cell phones during emergencies.

Because witnesses to the crime saw the men fleeing the campus, police did not think anyone at the school was in imminent danger, Coleman said.

He said authorities were also concerned that alerting students might impede the police investigation.

"Panicking the student body at that hour of the morning and having them all pour out of the dormitory would hamper the investigation, both the crime scene and their search for weapons," he said.

In September, Morgan student Richard Asare was fatally shot by an unknown gunman several blocks off campus.

After that killing, junior Jarrel Jones of Salisbury said he felt quite safe on the Northeast Baltimore campus. Yesterday, he said he was a bit rattled.

"The shooting was a surprise, and now the stabbing, so something is going on," Jones said. "I still feel safe, but things seem to be picking up."


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.